Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Application failed due to "Unable to install."

Our application failed QA with:

SUMMARY: Error message at the installation. STEPS TO REPRODUCE: 1. Download the content OTA. 2. Observe the error message at the installation. ACTUAL RESULTS: After user downloads the application and installation is about to begin, an error message is displayed: "Unable to install. ". EXPECTED RESULTS: The content is installed and launched properly. The user was able to run the content without any errors. DEVICES REPRODUCED: N96 Firmware: 10.065.

We tried several times and we are not able to reproduce it! This looks like a problem with QA device at OVI (the current fw revision is SW 30.033 why to test with 10.065 after all!!), QA process for our app is now stalled. Any ideas on what should we do?
    Last edited by minstn; 2009-08-03 at 16:13.

Super Contributor

Re: Application failed due to "Unable to install."

Hi,
    I agree the latest FW version is 30.x.x.x, however this may not be the answer to such fundamental failure.
    Another publisher had a similar failure on a device, see thread Ovi QA : Failed Case NEC 1.2: Download/Install/Launch/Delete. This transpires that the QA load process does not like SIS extensions and wants SISX extensions. Reloaded ok now.

One publisher found his uploaded media had got corrupted, and simply uploaded the file and another used libraries not installed by default
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...2&postcount=12

Usually this "unable to install" message occurs for me when using bluetooth to copy and upload a file to my local server and for some reason my file has been corrupted in transfer

This all assumes you have Symbian fully signed, not self signed. If Java verified
    some one else might help
    Jim

Regular Contributor

thanks for the reply! yesterday i changed the extension to sisx let's see what happens.

Dear minstn,

First remove all the file regarding this application before installation. if you can format the devices then it is better. please check and confirm that you are sending any file in its private directory from package.
    f.e \\private\\AppUId\\test file

again install the application or sis file in devices
    Thanks & Regards,

Avinash

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by avinash_ji View Post
    Dear minstn,

First remove all the file regarding this application before installation. if you can format the devices then it is better. please check and confirm that you are sending any file in its private directory from package.
    f.e \\private\\AppUId\\test file

again install the application or sis file in devices
    Once I've had that problem. The reason was the installer failed to run my application after isntall (app would not load...) and so informed me that "Unable to install".
    It boiled down to fixing my application loading problem and removing a "RI,RE" sequence on my exe line in the pkg file.

And of course this must be written somewhere in the forum/doc/wiki/Internet

Olivier

Regular Contributor

looks like changing extension did the trick for a second QA round. now have another problem which is even more weird:

Comments from the QA team:
    SUMMARY: The application contains a link to a storefront which is not a part of Ovi Store.
    STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Download and install the content using appropriate methods depending on content type via OTA, Cable install, and etc…
    2. Select the downloaded content and launch it.
    3. Observe.
    ACTUAL RESULTS: The application contains a link to a storefront which is not a part of Ovi Store: m.getjar.com
    EXPECTED RESULTS: There should not be any re-directs of any kind to storefronts which are not part of Ovi Store.
    DEVICES REPRODUCED: Nokia N97 (public, Qa in progress -> Qa failed)

and believe or not, we do not have ANY links to m.getjar.com anywhere!!! why would we after all?? And of course there is no mentioning where QA teams actually saw this link.. so bad..

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

The app failed QA as it has a link to a storefront outside the Ovi Store which is not allowed. All purchases should be done in the Ovi Store environment.

Thank you.

Regular Contributor

Angry Re: Application failed due to "Unable to install."

"The app failed QA as it has a link to a storefront outside the Ovi Store which is not allowed. All purchases should be done in the Ovi Store environment." - yes, i kind of picked up on that.
    But WE DO NOT HAVE ANY LINKS TO OTHER STOREFRONTS anywhere. Most likely reported was submitted for another app (not others!!!).