Discussion Board

desperate to get help

Hello everybody,

I am new to JAVA programming and I would like to use J2ME.
    I downloaded all the pdfs from the Documentations in Tools. However, I am very lost and I think the reason is that I don't have any JAVA background.

I have been looking for a book that will go through J2ME assuming that the reader has no Java background. I found a book that I am unsure if it will do this job or not: Sams Teach yourself JAVA with J2ME in 21 days.

Is this book a good start?. And does it support 7650?.

I would really appreciate your help so much.

Cheers

Regular Contributor
    Hello,

Core J2ME is a very good refrence book for beginners.

Nokia 7650 is one of the Java enabled Nokia phones, Of cource it supports MIDP. Some example source codes in the forum nokia website is quite helpful, you can also refer to the corresponding documents to learn more.

Regards,
    Kui

Hi,

i have read J2me in 21 days from Michael Morrison, and i think, its a good book for starting j2me development. Otherwise, there should be a basic java experience, not much, but understanding objects, classes, methods and basic data types is necessary.
    So maybe you first should get a book introducing to Java (in germany there is one in the net www.javabuch.de), but i´m sure there are much tutorials (i.e. at java.sun.com) that will introduce you very fast.
    J2ME in 21 days covers basic midlet-applications like simple GUIs, networking, graphics, and simple game-development. For me it worked very well.(i only had 3 month experience with Java 2 SDK).
    It covers not the Nokia 7650, but this shouldnt be a problem, cause if you have understood basic development, there is not much difference (only specific Nokia APIs, but you can get the docs here on the site).
    I´m developing with Sun Studio One, mobile edition, its free from Sun and it works pretty good. You can embedd the Nokia-Emulators in it.
    So dont give up and have fun developing your first midlet!

Regards,
    Elwoodini

Hi!

There are some nice and useful tutorials in german at www.j2meforum.com

Cu
    Tom