Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Expert

How to find the runtime type for a variable

I want to know how to find the runtime type of a variable in the Variables view. There is an "Actual Type" column in this view, which looks like it should give the right information, but it is always empty. The C++ runtime has the runtime type info available, so carbide should be able to work this out too.

For example, I am trying to debug the following line deep in the heart of the Symbian active scheduler: TRAP(aError, active->RunL());
    active is derived from CActive and its RunL() has thrown a non-Symbian exception. I need to find the actual type of active so that I can know which active object is doing this.

For reference, I am working with a recent Nokia internal carbide build, debugging on the winscw emulator.

Super Contributor

Re: How to find the runtime type for a variable

Hi,
    can't you find it out via the adress or the contents of the variable?
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Hi,
    can't you find it out via the adress or the contents of the variable?
    The contents of the variable only show those of the declared type, not the derived type.

The address of the variable does give me some help, eg I could conditionally breakpoint all constructors of the base type (takes a lot of time), or try to extract the vptr from the object (couldn't figure out how to convert that to any symbolic name), or try to force the debugger to call a virtual function in it (I set up all the relevant registers I could see, but couldn't make this work).

A working implementation of "actual type" would be so much easier.

Nokia Developer Moderator

You can check if the approach in http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=170712 helps you or not. However an exception will not necessarily have a virtual method table.

Nokia Developer Expert

I finally found a method to identify the runtime type for the active object I was trying to debug:

1) Note the address of the object.
    2) Find a line of code containing a call to a virtual function in that object (RunL in my case).
    3) Tell the debugger to move to that line.
    4) Switch to the disassembly view and locate the exact instruction for the virtual call.
    5) Reverse engineer the previous assembly statements to figure out how the object address is used and converted into a vtable lookup and call.
    6) Click on the first of of those assembly lines, right click and select "move to line" (a mov ecx,edx statement in my case).
    7) Switch to the registers view and modify the appropriate registers to the appropriate values to set up the virtual funciton call (I had to set EDX to my active object's address).
    8) Click on the call line, right click and select "run to line".
    9) Click the "step into function" button, and you should find yourself in a function associated with the active object (in my case, I found myself in another base class, but was able to step further to find the ultimate derived type and identify the bug).

ta da! Easy as something very hard indeed.

Note: you will have to figure out what assembly language means.
    Note: your program state is probably invalid now, and will crash very hard very soon.
    Note: I've raised a request to have "actual type" properly supported in the future.