Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

installation instrucs

So I think I'm being stupid, but I can't find any installation instrucs for getting 1.9.7 on my phone. The quickguide has a link to the sis file, but doesn't say anything about installing the script shell afterwards.

There are then four scriptshell choices, what is high_capas, where are these four options explained?

For a new user this must be impossible, unless I have missed something.

Regular Contributor

Re: installation instrucs

Quote Originally Posted by jtullis View Post
    So I think I'm being stupid, but I can't find any installation instrucs for getting 1.9.7 on my phone. The quickguide has a link to the sis file, but doesn't say anything about installing the script shell afterwards.

There are then four scriptshell choices, what is high_capas, where are these four options explained?

For a new user this must be impossible, unless I have missed something.
    Different flavours of ScriptShell can be installed at the same time on the phone. So you can install all. high_caps has more capabalities or you can sign the unsigned scriptshell with your required caps and install it.
    --NirpSis

http://sites.google.com/site/nirpsis/
    http://nirpsis.blogspot.com/

Regular Contributor

Cool. But how did you know that? And if you were a noob, how would you find that out? Surely it must be documented somewhere? I find the new documentation much less helpful than the old pdf. Sure, it's more in line with python, but we seem to have lost the phone emphasis...

Regular Contributor

Starting out with PyS60 is difficult, as i can tell you from experience! Nevertheless, Python is a friendly code, especially if you are familiar with programming.

The current 1.9.x releases are beta's until the stable 2.0 version. The documentation should give a brief outline of available coding. But to really learn how to construct code, I would advise browsing the http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Category:Python

If you understand the Symbian platform, security signing is a big thing. If you want to develop simple apps, install the basic self-signed version of ScriptShell. If, however, like me you want 'access all areas', install the unsigned version.

(Mods, correct me if i'm wrong! lol)
    The86Hitman
    PyS60 1.9.7 on E71
    http://www.drhtailor.com/pys60

Regular Contributor

What worries me is that a potential new user would just walk away from pys60 because there's such confusion. For example, just google pys60 and you'll end up at the outdated sourceforge page. Not a good start.

Maemo is useless if you don't understand what's going on. Those of us that do can upgrade to the new version, but my bet is that lots of potential new users just give up because there are so many pys60 sources, but no 'official' one. Unlike apps for Iphone, Android etc...

I think Symbian need to check out these issues if they want pys60 to become more popular

Regular Contributor

Going from nothing to being able to write 'hello world' was much more difficult than it should have been.

It would be helpful if there were a straightforward guide telling users which files to download and how to install them. Even better, an all in one installer for your computer and another for your phone. Plus pointers to this stuff that could be found by someone who does not know more than 'python nokia.' Among other things, both the 1.4.5 sourceforge page and the 1.9.7 maemo.garage pages should include this information and pointers to each other.

Starting development is relatively easy once you have everything installed, have browsed the manuals and have seen some sample code. It's getting to that point that I found needlessly difficult.

Regular Contributor

very good point. the "New the PyS60 read here first" thread is verrrry outdated too!

Admins: i think the beginner's wiki and threads need a serious updating!
    The86Hitman
    PyS60 1.9.7 on E71
    http://www.drhtailor.com/pys60

Regular Contributor

I have raised these points before. I think most don't take notice because they've been using pys60 for years, so keeping track of changes is quite simple. I also think nokia have totally failed to create a one stop shop for pys60, documentation for beginners is utterly hopeless.

I fail to see how this is in their interests, but these points have been raised before and nothing has been done. It doesn't seem right to try to create yet another pys60 blog/starting point/wiki which in a few months will be out of date and useless.

Please pys60 team get your act together and decide on an official website which will be updated, and will show new users how to get to grips with the platform which you have invested 1000s of hours in.