Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Angry What have I broken and how do I fix it????

Hi, as usual I seem to be spending more time smashing my head against the dumb brick wall of carbide than getting on with my development.

I have Carbide 2.0, build 014

I have created a project - S60 with UI designer

I have got code in there doing what I want except that I would like a text window on the UI so I can display the results of the operations I have performed (using menu options).

So I open the UI in the 'designer' and see something that looks a bit like a phone screen, has a title, menu bar (not the one I want - I have to do some code level hackery to get the menu bar to be correct) and a pane with 'No data' on it. The UI was created as a 'form' (stupdily I thought it might be useful as I could add text boxes etc. to a form can't I??? )

I have a 'palette' of things I can 'add' to the form pane (well some of them can be, the others error instead!)
    The palette has:
    a single 'controls' - Popup Field Text
    some editors, Avkon Integer Editor, Date editor, duration editor...
    some menu things - menu bar, menu item, menu pane...
    misc - a web client!
    notes and dialogs - confirmation query....
    status and control - Context Icon, Navi pane image, Navi pane text

Navi pane text seems on the surface to be closest to what I want, but I can't drag it onto the window

I guess that installing QT may have been my mistake??? I haven't a clue, but as normal S60 is hardly open to innovation if you can't do even the simplest things with it!
    If anyone has a clue what to do I would be greatful, otherwise I guess its another 5 or 10 days of reinstalling and cutting and pasting from one project to yet another new one until by magic it might work. This is not just frustrating it is making me want to find the guy in charge of Nokia and nut him!

Regular Contributor

Re: What have I broken and how do I fix it????

Right, palette 'filtering' what ever that is supposed to do is killing most of the useful controls.
    The question now is WHY?
    It appears that I can't place a text box on the display, what the hell stops me?

Nokia Developer Moderator

A form has a stict layout, and its lines are those editors which you have skipped.
    For custom layout, select Empty as design. Because all the other ones also use a strict layout with a restricted set of available elements.

Although smashing your head against a wall sounds as real fun, you may consider reading about the stuff you use and/or simply experimenting. Remember: we are talking about just 4 possible choices.

Regular Contributor

Believe me smashing my head on a wall lost its sense of fun many years ago. I have tried experimenting, a 'form' seems like the right choice for a 'form' the user needs to fill in, it just plain doesn't work, neither did an 'empty' layout as itwas filtering everything and I could add nothing useful to it at all. I have now edited things 'by hand', after the initial edit even using abld 'reallyclean' didn't change the UI on the emulator - although the editor showed what I expected, eventually this morning it suddenly offered to start deleting source files for me and now has stopped doing anything useful at all.

I bring myself back to my comments from months back, visual studio and windows mobile development 'just works', this on the other hand 'just fails'. It is a real shame that the s60 development really only has one crap tool, if it had more choice then we might get to a situation where the problem developers face is working out the good ideas, at the moment I am spending more of my time fighting a tool than creating software - this is a disaster and is precisely why s60 is losing market share against competitors.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Although I do not use, neither like the UI designer, here is what I have tried:
    - File, New, Symbian OS C++ Project
    - S60 / GUI Application with UI Designer
    - name
    - SDK (I tried with S60 3rd MR)
    - Next
    - Empty
    - Finish
    Here I see asdfContainer.uidesign, the palette contains everything.
    Scroll down Editors, select Text Editor. Click somewhere in the middle of the "mobile screen".
    Run the project. Although the result is not nice (default size of the editor is smaller than the text), it definitely runs, the editor has focus, you can type into it, etc.
    I can not imagine which step is the hard one, or how it should work more effectively.