Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Building S60 apps with Qt

Hi all!
    I will start doing a program for S60 phones using Qt. After looking at the forum nokia, I have received an enormous amount of help and are grateful for this.
    However, I am still unsure how I can build the navigation of the program.
    If I must describe the program as I will do so, it is a program that helps the user to keep track of what it eats through a food database. This requires that the user can navigate around quite a lot of different levels.
    I wonder if it is best to use the stack for the navigation. Or if there is another way to take the user around in the menus? The program should not be too demanding in terms of memory for quality matters.
    Should I use .ui created from ui-builder?

Hope you understand any of this, otherwise I can try to explain more later.

Grateful for answers!

Greetings Mats!

Regular Contributor

Re: Building S60 apps with Qt

Hi Mats,
    you're question isn't really Qt specific. What you're looking after (atleast the way I interpreted it) is usability guidelines and how to design a UI. I would recommend you to have a look at http://www.forum.nokia.com/Tools_Doc...idelines.xhtml

First design the views, what you want to show in which menus. Then plan the interaction i.e how the user moves between different views (by selecting from options menu, softkeys or f.ex button clicks).

Cheers,
    Jack

Regular Contributor

Hello again!

I think my question is Qt-related. I want to know how to do the navigation between diffrent views using qt? Should i use the stackedwidget as in the example on forum nokia or is there a better way off navigating when developing for mobile devices?

Thanks in advance!

/Mats

Regular Contributor

Stacked widget is not bad. My advise is that you don't care so much on which layout to use but to care about how hard it will be to change the layout. Example:

I want an application with three pages. I could either create a monster class that inherits from QMainWindow that creates a stacked widget and populates the three pages and does all the logic. But now I decide it would be better to have three different windows. Now I have a problem and have to rewrite a lot of code.

Better make a new class for each page and create only a light weight container that puts these three components together to be able to replace that organizer as often as you want.