Discussion Board

Auto rotate problem on n97

I’m working on a game and in order to avoid the screen from auto- rotating the game detects for screen resizes and adjust everything accordingly. This works on device central and the N95. When run on the N97 it works when we distribute it as an swf file however when we package it into a sis file and install it on the N97 it works until somebody presses a key on the keypad. My auto-rotate function seems to just stop working when the phone is rotated any time afterwards (as if it no longer detects screen resizes) Does anybody know why installing it as a sis file and pressing a key should stop our game detecting changes in screen sizes?

I have also tried using the device object to disable auto rotation however this doesn’t seem to do anything on any of the phone I have tested it on. I’ve even tried using the already complied example swf file. Does the device object work on the n97?

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Auto rotate problem on n97

Quote Originally Posted by fpstudios View Post
    I’m working on a game and in order to avoid the screen from auto- rotating the game detects for screen resizes and adjust everything accordingly. This works on device central and the N95. When run on the N97 it works when we distribute it as an swf file however when we package it into a sis file and install it on the N97 it works until somebody presses a key on the keypad. My auto-rotate function seems to just stop working when the phone is rotated any time afterwards (as if it no longer detects screen resizes) Does anybody know why installing it as a sis file and pressing a key should stop our game detecting changes in screen sizes?

I have also tried using the device object to disable auto rotation however this doesn’t seem to do anything on any of the phone I have tested it on. I’ve even tried using the already complied example swf file. Does the device object work on the n97?
    I have few solutions for it :
    1 ) The best practice which i observed in few commercial flash applications is to show a black screen with a notification text on it if the user holds the device in wrong orientaion i.e the one for which ur app/game is not designed (landscape/portrait).
    2) if u really want to disable it then u have to make a swd launcher urself which runs swf file not embedded in the symbian c++ application because the all the packaging tools embedded the swf file into the symbian c++ application which may makes it differ from standalone swf .But in the later case, u can run swf file just as u run it with standalone flash player. Just follow this tutorial :
    Swf Launcher for Flash Lite in Symbian C++
    3) Suppose u wont have SDKs and u r not really mood of this then u can try some alternatives like Detecting the screen orientation by using Softkeys instead of screen resize. Take a look here:
    How_to_make_Flash_Lite_aware_of_softkey_location_and_screen_orientation
    4) According to my vision, Disable autorotation using device object should have to work in n97 if u have Flash Lite 3.1 installed in ur device .
    However, sorry to say but i dont have n97 device to test it myself. but m sure one of the above solution must solve ur problem .

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft