Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

S60 compatible video formats?

The Nokia documentation isn't completely clear on what's supported and what not on S60.2 and S60.3.

Is h263+ (aka h263v2/h263 1998) in 3gp supported? My testing on N95 suggests it is not, but maybe the problem is with the container format (I had some trouble muxing with ffmpeg and mp4box).

The docs say "MPEG4 Visual" is supported, so I think I'll go with that. But what exactly is supported? What Xvid settings can and cannot be used? What resolutions, framerates, bitrates, etc.?

If using MP4 container and Xvid video (MPEG4 SP/ASP), I assume AAC LC would be fine?

Are there any special considerations when muxing to 3gp/mp4 with mp4box or ffmpeg?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: S60 compatible video formats?

Feel free to check the specifications of your device in the Devices section above.
    And Google is your friend when it comes to searching for tutorials about ffmpeg+N95.

Regular Contributor

The specifications say nothing about the technical details (see above). And I'm not looking for tutorials, but info from people with more experience on whether there are specific things to beware of. Simple muxing with ffmpeg works on my N95, but it doesn't mean it will work the same on other models. And again, the target isn't the few specific phones I have, but S60.3 (and maybe .2) in general.

I agree with you that the Nokia documentation on supported video/audio on various platforms & phones is not as gooad as it should be. In contrast, take a look at the media documentation for Sony Ericsson phones (may require a login) to see how it could be.
    --Himanshu
    Nokia N8-00 (Symbian Belle, NAM RM-596)
    Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (S60 5th Ed., NAM RM-428, v51.2.007)
    S/w: ADT v1.4 + S60 5.0 SDK on Win7 x64

Regular Contributor

The SE doc isn't bad indeed. Could be better, but still decent. Funny how they explain what's a container format, but there's no info on actual container format support.