Discussion Board

CMMFDevSound class in S60 5th edition SDK

Hello everyone.
    I have big problem with playing audio in S60 5h edition.
    I want to develop sound engine what can play very short sounds in specified moment of time (for example, play sounds in game application when some game event occurs). At the beginning I tried to use CMDAAudioOutputStream class but it has huge latency in playing audio, expecially when playing very short sounds. So I decided to use CMMFDevSound class. But it appears that there is no such class in S60 5th ed SDK. I've downloaded from here and install extension S60_5th_Ed_SDK_API_Plug-In_Pack_v1_1. Yes, it has header file and DLL-file for CMMFDevSound class, but it has no LIB-file! How to use this class then? Do I need to load this library dynamically using RLibrary and such? Is there any way to use this class in S60 5th ed SDK?
    P.S. I've copied lib-files from uiq 3.3 sdk beta - it works fine in emulator, but when I try to install my application on device - it crashes on start with "System error" message.
    Please help!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: CMMFDevSound class in S60 5th edition SDK

try using CMDaAudioPlayerUtility

I've already tried CMdaAudioPlayerUtility but it is not suitable for my task because it is quite slow. I have situation in my app when several very short sounds (for example 0.5 sec each ) must be played every second. When use playerUtility here it is oblivously heard what sounds are playing irregulary, not every second.
    Sorry for my english )
    Anyway, CMMFDevSound showing excellent results, but only on emulator and only when using lib-files from uiq sdk ( So it is the best way to play audio in my situation (

Is here anyone who develop game application in S60 5th edition?

Nokia Developer Champion

download the MMFDevSound API from here :

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/SDK_API_Plug-in

and copy the libs & headers to your 5th edition folder

Nokia Developer Moderator

Copying binaries between SDK-s usually does not work - especially if both the base OS and the platform are different. Otherwise the release notes explicitly states that CMMFDevSound has been removed, it may have a reason.
    Have you tried CMdaAudioOutputStream? It works, and it is documented, discussed, Wiki contains examples, FN also provides some (Docs section above, then Documentation, Symbian C++, there you should check Multimedia for audio stuff - sound mixer, streaming -, but you will also find Games for games).

wizard_hu_, Yes I've tried to use CMdaAudioOutputStream and I wrote about it im the first message of this thread. Read carefully please. I've read many threads in FN and in most of them I saw the same about CMdaAudioOutputStream - huge latency. Is there any way to get rid of this latency?

vineet.jain, I did as you told, but when I build my project for device I have error messages like these

arm-none-symbianelf-ld: ERROR: Source object \S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\release\ARMV5\urel\mmfdevsound.lib(MMFDevSound{000a0000}-28.o) has EABI version 2, but target \S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\USSR_M1\group\USSR_IM1\GCCE\urel\test_app_0xE6457795.exe has EABI version 4
    arm-none-symbianelf-ld: failed to merge target specific data of file

Oh, I managed to build application for device. But when I try to run app on device, message "System error" apperas again (
    So any other suggestions?

Nokia Developer Champion

so when is it giving System Error , when you try to open App or when? and is it giving any error code like system error -1 or somethig else?

Ok, I did not notice that part of your opening post. Are you really experiencing latency, or you are experiencing serialization of sounds? Because CMdaAudioOutputStream collects the data which you have WriteL-d into it, and plays the buffers as you have supplied them. One at a time.

Anyway, reveal the error messages: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code, then you will see "how" CMMFDevSound does not work.

>> Are you really experiencing latency, or you are experiencing serialization of sounds? Because CMdaAudioOutputStream collects the data which you have WriteL-d into it, and plays the buffers as you have supplied them. One at a time.

Yes, this is exactly what I am saying about ) All small sounds that I've write into audioStream it plays at once after some period of time. Is there any flush() method or similar in audioStream to make it play data from its internal buffer when I want to?

>> so when is it giving System Error , when you try to open App or when? and is it giving any error code like system error -
    1 or somethig else?

Device gives me System error message when I try to open app. And there is no any error codes or other text in that message window, only "System error" and Ok button. When I press Ok button it just quits. It's like app can not find library on device or something like this.

Nokia Developer Champion

well you can store say if you have five different sounds in five files, and therby play the appropriate file when you want to play

Quote Originally Posted by dekudin View Post
    >> Are you really experiencing latency, or you are experiencing serialization of sounds? Because CMdaAudioOutputStream collects the data which you have WriteL-d into it, and plays the buffers as you have supplied them. One at a time.

Yes, this is exactly what I am saying about ) All small sounds that I've write into audioStream it plays at once after some period of time. Is there any flush() method or similar in audioStream to make it play data from its internal buffer when I want to?
    This is the issue addressed by the sound mixer example as I remember.
    >> so when is it giving System Error , when you try to open App or when? and is it giving any error code like system error -
    1 or somethig else?

Device gives me System error message when I try to open app. And there is no any error codes or other text in that message window, only "System error" and Ok button. When I press Ok button it just quits. It's like app can not find library on device or something like this.
    You may still consider visiting the link in my previous post.

Well, thanks wizard_hu_, vineet.jain. The description of sound mixer example v2.1 looks promising, so I think I must return to CMDaAudioOutputStream class one more time. )
    But anyway, this is strange decision to remove fast and quite handy CMMFDevSound class from s60 sdk...