Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Regular Contributor

Ovi's search-function broken

We´ve released 6 apps to date for various devices, supporting most languages, and distributed globally.

However, there is no way to search for them. Sometimes the search-mechanism works on some selected phonemodels on on or two of our apps, but most often they do not.

Not even searching the full application-name works fully.

And this is not only a problem with our apps. Ive tried searching several of the apps appearing on ovi, and about half of them were searchable (using their full title).

Ive contacted ovi about this and the reply was that they are experiencing problems with their seach-mechanism and are working on it. This was about two-three weeks ago and it just keeps getting worse. Amazing!

Has nobody else noticed this? Any news about how their work is comming along?

Regular Contributor

Re: Ovi's search-function broken

I'm seeing similar behavior with our app: Wyrmgard RPG. I've tried adding keywords to the meta data, but this hasn't improved things .. at least not yet.

Btw. does anyone know if keywords are supposed to be comma or space delimited, the regex just says [\w]*

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by pjohnsen View Post
    I'm seeing similar behavior with our app: Wyrmgard RPG. I've tried adding keywords to the meta data, but this hasn't improved things .. at least not yet.

Btw. does anyone know if keywords are supposed to be comma or space delimited, the regex just says [\w]*
    Hi well at least you got the search pattern right on this on because Google finds this

Google search "+Ovi Wyrmgard RPG"
    finds
    first entry as

http://store.ovi.com/content/6E2151F...ated%2Bcontent

IMHO finding this using Google and I can find this in the Store Web page

and I did NOT need to log in!!

OH UK English Any phone was selected

Thanks,
    Jim

Regular Contributor

hmmm .. how did you get it to select 'any phone' by default?

Whenever I go to store.ovi.com (not logged in) it always defaults to N97, 5800 or E71 (which are all unsupported for our app.)

If I then select e.g. 5700 (which is one of the 65 supported devices) and try to search on the site for 'rpg', 'wyrmgard' or 'wyrmgard rpg' nothing shows up. If I manually go to the games/adventure category the app is listed.

If I select N95 8Gb, the app. used to show up in a search for 'rpg', but that doesn't look to be working anymore

So as far as I can see, search on the Ovi site is currently broken. Maybe google sometimes gets lucky though

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

The search function is being improved so it is affecting the current capabilities.

Thank you.

Exclamation Re: Ovi's search-function broken

WebStore (any Language): If the N97 is selected use the buttons below the image of the phone and select the previous device. A Nokia device is shown but "Any phone" is selected.

If i use google with the term -> Wyrm site:store.ovi.com <- i find nothing. If i use -> rpg site:store.ovi.com <- instead i find your app. If i use -> Wyrmgard site:store.ovi.com <- i also find your app. This means: Google / Ovi does not support wildcard searches (or meta keywords).

If i use Ovi Search with the term -> Wyrm <- i find nothing. If i use -> rpg <- instead i find only "m:Mafia". If i use Wyrmgard i find nothing. This means: Ovi Search is completely useless. Get the webmaster to replace the current search with google.

If i search with my old N73 (http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N73) i don't find your app at all, neither by searching or browsing the category "games > adventures"

Regular Contributor

Thanks. N73 support hasn't yet been published because of the yet unsupported devices (6760, 6790) holding it up ... I have disabled those again from the distribution, so hopefully N73 support will come in next publishing round.

Ovi search is still broken.

Is there any estimate on when a fix is expected?
    It is quite amazing that Ovi runs with a broken search function for such a long time.

I find it difficult to my own published app, so how can other people find it?

Ori

Regular Contributor

Yes, pretty freaking amazing! I suggest you all individually send Nokia an e-mail stating your impatience with the problem, because a scenario where Nokia cant employ competent enough people to solve a simple search-function for a browser in 2 months is hardly credible, hence it must have to do with pure negligence.

I've given up on Ovi Store search via ovi store. I just use google.

BTW. Is Ovi Store (via device client) working at all?

I can't load Ovi Store, nor can I download the ovi store app for my N97.
    Since my N97 loves crashing, requiring hard reset, I have no way to re-download purchased apps unless I purchase them again via browser version of Ovi Store.

Also, via browser -
    "install ovi store on your mobile" = "ITEM unavailable - sorry this item is no longer available"

If this is a maintenance issue, there should be a warning message to indicate the case. I hope that's what's happening and not just fault to add to the list of Ovi Failures.