×

Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2

    Question Nokia 5800 maemo?

    I have a question..
    now nokia has launched the new touch screen phone with maemo..
    is it possible that nokia updates the nokia 5800 with the same maemo platform ?

    thks already

  2. #2
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    4,547

    Re: Nokia 5800 maemo?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonasdhondt View Post
    I have a question..
    now nokia has launched the new touch screen phone with maemo..
    is it possible that nokia updates the nokia 5800 with the same maemo platform ?

    thks already
    Welcome to the Forum!!

    No, that cannot be done.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2

    Re: Nokia 5800 maemo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!!

    No, that cannot be done.
    the hardware is not good enough ?

  4. #4
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    4,547

    Re: Nokia 5800 maemo?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonasdhondt View Post
    the hardware is not good enough ?
    Unlike a typical PC, Symbian devices/phones are based on a specific OS version which cannot be changed.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6

    Re: Nokia 5800 maemo?

    Hello

    Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    Unlike a typical PC, Symbian devices/phones are based on a specific OS version which cannot be changed.
    is it really so ?
    you seem to be a nokia forum champion so you should know :
    1. 5800 has mxm 300 inside so there is linux kernel for ths platform
    2. the only reason it was not done is because nokia dont want to loose symbian

    so let me ask one more time ?
    so really why there is no port of maemo for 5800 ?

    maybe we (the users) should make a poll and to attention nokia on our wishes, cause the marketing department seems to be lost in space and time.

    ps : thank you for not putting a joystick on n900 you did it again.

  6. #6
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    4,547

    Re: Nokia 5800 maemo?

    Welcome to the Forum!!

    Quote Originally Posted by builtofire View Post
    2. the only reason it was not done is because nokia dont want to loose symbian
    Well whatever the reason, as per your own admission, its not done

    Quote Originally Posted by builtofire View Post
    maybe we (the users) should make a poll and to attention nokia on our wishes, cause the marketing department seems to be lost in space and time.
    End users issues best addressed in the end users forum : http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

    Good Luck!

  7. #7
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    28,697

    Re: Nokia 5800 maemo?

    Quote Originally Posted by builtofire View Post
    1. 5800 has mxm 300 inside so there is linux kernel for ths platform
    2. the only reason it was not done is because nokia dont want to loose symbian
    Yes, you are right in both.
    so let me ask one more time ?
    Yes, of course.
    so really why there is no port of maemo for 5800 ?
    Why would there be one? Would its existence make any sense from the majority-of-5800-users' point of view?
    Do you often change the OS on your washing machine? Or on the microwave oven?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6

    Re: Nokia 5800 maemo?

    Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Yes, you are right in both.Yes, of course.Why would there be one? Would its existence make any sense from the majority-of-5800-users' point of view?
    Do you often change the OS on your washing machine? Or on the microwave oven?
    Hi
    Do i install new applications on my washing machine or on my microwave ?
    If there will ever be ovens with OS that can download food description(aka maemo) like pizza XXX, and ovens that can't download descriptions (aka Symbian) then i would install a new os on my Symbian oven

    look 3 years ago having limited software capabilities for a phone was normal ? right ?
    now the context has changed, symbian is very software limited, maemo is the next best thing for nokia.

    I want to change the OS on my 5800, i will be very grateful if nokia could provide some tools, docs, anything that could help me with it.
    (for instance to provide the compiler and sdk for this platform, and a way to flash the new image, i guess you should have something)
    Maemo started like this, from user initiative, and look now where is maemo and symbian.

    Symbian was designed for devices with limited hardware and capabilities,
    And this is becoming obsolete now.

    5800 can handle maemo from hardware point of view, the only thing it is missing is initiative.


    thank you for you time, try to see the positive in my words, i'm not saying nokia is bad company, i'm just saying nokia makes the wrong decisions.

    PS : i can assure you there are many users that would install maemo on 5800 and n97.

  9. #9
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    28,697

    Re: Nokia 5800 maemo?

    The hardware potential is undoubtfully there, but otherwise it is just not feasible.
    Generally mobile phone manufacturers do not rush to make driver-level details available for everyone. I would guess that this particularly applies to flagship devices.
    For this problem, there would be two 'solutions'
    1) someone reverse engineers the device, and makes Linux/Maemo available - it is illegal, but not impossible after all. Takes some time of course, but it is the time of whoever does it - feel free to do that if you want
    2) Nokia does it: it would certainly succeed, then
    - Nokia would have to provide end-user support for it ('how to change background image on 5800 S60', 'how to change background image on 5800 Maemo' would be two distinct questions)
    - Nokia would have to provide developer support for it, because the device itself would still differ a lot from other Maemo devices - I guess you would not want to give up the phone functionality in favour of having a Linux kernel
    - applications released for 'the 5800' would turn out to be incompatible with 'the 5800', because there would be no such thing as 'the 5800' any more. Possible result: "Bah, 5800 is crap, I tell it everyone, upload to YouTube and write on my blog, then I buy something else"
    - Nokia could try providing everything from its own side to be available on both OS-s, which would be possible, but obviously require resources (time, manpower)
    - doing the port itself also requires resources
    - product life-cycle of nowadays mobile devices is relatively short ('consumerism', 'throw-away society', and the like), so all of these efforts would be spent on a device which has already passed 20-30% of its lifetime
    Exactly which of these factors should make the idea attractive to Nokia? The idea of making a successful product potentially less successful at the cost of spending resources on it. In my opinion "real" "XpressMusic people" do not want to change the OS. And if they happen to change it, they will not understand why things (from 3rd parties) start malfunctioning.

    Remember that if you want phone with Maemo, it is on the way already: http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N900

    Of course this is my opinion only, FNC's are not working for / representing Nokia (see the 'definition' on http://www.forum.nokia.com/Community/Meet_Our_Champions)

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6

    Re: Nokia 5800 maemo?

    Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    The hardware potential is undoubtfully there, but otherwise it is just not feasible.
    Generally mobile phone manufacturers do not rush to make driver-level details available for everyone. I would guess that this particularly applies to flagship devices.
    For this problem, there would be two 'solutions'
    1) someone reverse engineers the device, and makes Linux/Maemo available - it is illegal, but not impossible after all. Takes some time of course, but it is the time of whoever does it - feel free to do that if you want
    2) Nokia does it: it would certainly succeed, then
    - Nokia would have to provide end-user support for it ('how to change background image on 5800 S60', 'how to change background image on 5800 Maemo' would be two distinct questions)
    - Nokia would have to provide developer support for it, because the device itself would still differ a lot from other Maemo devices - I guess you would not want to give up the phone functionality in favour of having a Linux kernel
    - applications released for 'the 5800' would turn out to be incompatible with 'the 5800', because there would be no such thing as 'the 5800' any more. Possible result: "Bah, 5800 is crap, I tell it everyone, upload to YouTube and write on my blog, then I buy something else"
    - Nokia could try providing everything from its own side to be available on both OS-s, which would be possible, but obviously require resources (time, manpower)
    - doing the port itself also requires resources
    - product life-cycle of nowadays mobile devices is relatively short ('consumerism', 'throw-away society', and the like), so all of these efforts would be spent on a device which has already passed 20-30% of its lifetime
    Exactly which of these factors should make the idea attractive to Nokia? The idea of making a successful product potentially less successful at the cost of spending resources on it. In my opinion "real" "XpressMusic people" do not want to change the OS. And if they happen to change it, they will not understand why things (from 3rd parties) start malfunctioning.

    Remember that if you want phone with Maemo, it is on the way already: http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N900

    Of course this is my opinion only, FNC's are not working for / representing Nokia (see the 'definition' on http://www.forum.nokia.com/Community/Meet_Our_Champions)
    Hi

    you overtalked me

    thank you for your time, just one more question :

    is there a kernel for 5800 (one of which you know) ?

    i know there is montavista linux for this platform, but i cant get my hands on it.

    if you can point to some docs where it is described how to build linux for this platform, src, drivers as many as it is possible. some dev docs for this platform.

    it would be very nice. Thank you and have a good day.

  11. #11
    (Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,664

    Re: Nokia 5800 maemo?

    Quote Originally Posted by builtofire View Post
    Hi is there a kernel for 5800 (one of which you know) ?
    The 5800 is based on ARM11 and uses the ARM 6 instruction set. The N900 uses ARM Cortex-8 which uses the ARM 7 instruction set. So maemo will not run on a 5800 or actually any other device that does not run ARM 7 architecure.

    Linux is pretty adapable to all processors is often what is used initially for processor development. But Linux is not an embedded operating system so you need to develop a CMOS, drivers for all your input and output and wire it all up and you would have it.

    What you need to do is think of the N900 as a computer that has a cell phone. And the 5800 XpressMusic as a cell phone that includes multimedia applications.

    Ron

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    3

    Re: Nokia 5800 maemo?

    Hi all, i would like to say that i am yet another nokia 5800 user who would like to see maemo on it. And the reason why, is because i feel that the symbian as a platform is very constrained and limited, while symbian, android and even iphone platform are more opened. You can see that although nokia 5800 premiered more than 6 months ago there aren't still that many applications as are for android for example. Also one more important thing: you say that nokia 5800 uses different cpu architecture. Ok, but what about n810, it uses the same cpu as nokia 5800, same amount of ram, etc. So technicaly maemo 4.1 can be ported to 5800 with some modifications ?
    Last edited by igorj; 2009-09-21 at 23:48.

  13. #13
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA, CA
    Posts
    7,191

    Re: Nokia 5800 maemo?

    The N810 does not have anything related to cellular capabilities, so porting it on 5800 would not do any good.

    Hartti

  14. #14
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,708

    Re: Nokia 5800 maemo?

    just to give some comments :
    - actually there are loads of apps for the 5800, it's a S60 so it will run all SYmbian apps and virtually all J2ME apps... It's true that those apps aren't easy to come by (after all there is not a single integrated sell point like an AppStore, even though OVI is coming along with the newest devices, btw you can install OVI Sotre on your 5800), but if for example you look at getjar.com you might find several thousand apps !!! At least as many as on Android's Marketplace...
    - About how limited the platform is : what do you mean ? None of the mentioned other platforms (Android nor iPhone) actually give you as an user the opportunity to install a new OS ! Heck, in case of the iPhone, they even block ANY application which might be a surrogate to already implemented functionality (skype has been blocked because you can call with it, tomtom had loads of problems getting on that platform and there are many other examples).

  15. #15
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    28,697

    Re: Nokia 5800 maemo?

    It is not possible to convince people, since they feel that Symbian is limited. And actually they are right, Symbian really was an Ltd.

    Congrats for your 1500th :-)

Similar Threads

  1. Infra-red capability
    By Symbian_Challenge_0412 in forum General Development Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2005-08-16, 18:24
  2. Nokia Mobile VPN Client
    By marcyl in forum Symbian Networking & Messaging (Closed)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2003-12-01, 14:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×