Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Symbian c++: Combining a .exe file and GUI app

Hello,

I am creating a application which consists of basic console application and a GUI application. On the restart of the phone, basic console app checks a particular file on the file system and if the file does not exist, it launches the GUI application, take the details from the user and create the text file on the user system. Next time, when the user starts the phone, the console app checks for the text file and does not launch the GUI app.

Now, my problem is that because i am using two different apps, i am assuming that i will have to get it signed for both the application.

How can i combine both the application in one application. I have tried combining both the application in a single GUI application but GUI always get launched. Is there any method by which the GUI does not get launched and on the restart of the phone the app only runs in the background.

Regards
    Sumeet Kumar

Super Contributor

Re: Symbian c++: Combining a .exe file and GUI app

Just add console exe to SIS package of GUI application and sign that SIS package.

Regular Contributor

Thank you

Can i do vice-versa(means add the .sis file of the GUI app in the .sis file of the console app.)?Also, do i need to get both the application signed?

Regards
    Sumeet Kumar

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sumeet_netsmartz View Post
    Thank you

Can i do vice-versa(means add the .sis file of the GUI app in the .sis file of the console app.)?Also, do i need to get both the application signed?

Regards
    Sumeet Kumar
    The console exe will will be in the sis of gui, hence you will have only one sis file to sign

Regular Contributor

i forgot to mention that i need to start the exe just after the installation also and now when i have given the path of the exe in the GUI application package file, the .exe gets installed earlier and try to launch the GUI app which is not yet installed and thus giving some "System error".

Is there any work around for this also.

Regards
    Sumeet Kumar
    Last edited by sumeet_netsmartz; 2009-09-02 at 14:13.

Nokia Developer Moderator

i forgot to mention that i need to start the exe just after the installation also and now when i have given the path of the exe in the GUI application package file, the .exe gets installed earlier and try to launch the GUI app which is not yet installed and thus giving some "System error".

Regards
    Sumeet Kumar
    If I understood you correctly, then your solution is change the order of those files in the pkg file.

Nokia Developer Champion

Regards
    Sumeet Kumar
    well if you need to start the exe as soon as installation takes place then mention in front of exe name as FR,RI

Regular Contributor

Thanks Neil ,

It worked after changing the order of the files in the package file, but now i am not able to start the basic console exe on the restart of the phone. Can i start the basic console exe(which is embedded in the GUI app) on the phone restart. If not, are there any workarounds.

Regards
    Sumeet Kumar
    Last edited by sumeet_netsmartz; 2009-09-03 at 10:31.