Discussion Board

Is the Bluetooth HID Profile not supported?

My Sony Ericsson K790 used to be able to remotely control any bluetooth HID enabled computer with a Remote Control application, which comes as a preinstalled standard applcation on all SE dumbphones.

This Remote Control app connects to any Bluetooth-enabled PCs as a Bluetooth HID mouse and/or keyboard. So any computer with Bluetooth HID drivers (which is every bluetooth stack that I know of) can be controlled by my K790. Quite handy to watch that movie with computer connected to your TV

I was really disappointed when I changed from my SE K790 to my current Nokia E71 Smartphone and found out that noone in the Nokia world has heard of this, especially since the phone is listed as supporting the Bluetooth HID Profile..

Now with my E71 (which I have had for nearly a year but just now I started missing this), I can't find anything that does this.

I have find application combos that implement this but require PC-client software AND Phone host-software to be installed on both devices, but I want to use the native Bluetooth HID profile, like my K790 did, where the PC would detect my phone as a Bluetooth HID device and it could be used right away without the use of a PC-client software.

A Bluetooth HID device shouldn't need any software on the PC except the bluetooth stack. It can used on multiple platforms, such as Linux, Macs and PCs without installing additional custom software on the computer itself.

This is really a pain, I even found the other way around (http://europe.nokia.com/A4144291), I mean, using a HID keyboard to control phone.. But I want the phone as the HID device not the client.

As far as I know, HID was a standard defined for USB devices to work all the same way, like keyboards and mice would all work with the same driver. This was expanded to Bluetooth. So a BT HID drivers were built on top of the USB HID drivers which makes it quite easy to plug & play any Human Interface Device, bluetooth or USB.

I even read somewhere after some hours googling that Nokia devices can't do it and I can't imagine why, as they have HID listed as their Bluetooth Capabilities...
    Last edited by wikid24; 2009-09-03 at 17:45.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Is the Bluetooth HID Profile not supported?

Quote Originally Posted by wikid24 View Post
    My Sony Ericsson K790 to be able to remotely control any bluetooth HID enabled computer with a Remote Control application, which comes as a preinstalled standard applcation on SE dumbphones...
    You SE might have a patent or something on this. Anyway you might find an application for this if you ask it on the product discussion board. http://www.nokia.com/discussions/ asking here in the developers discussion area isn't going to get many answers.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    You SE might have a patent or something on this. Anyway you might find an application for this if you ask it on the product discussion board. http://www.nokia.com/discussions/ asking here in the developers discussion area isn't going to get many answers.

Ron
    Hi Ron, could you redirect this thread to the correct forum or should I repost? Thanks.

The bluetooth HID profile isn't patented by for use on phones by SE, its used for many devices, including the Playstation 3 Controller, Nintendo Wii Remote controller, All SE phones, and the Asus J208 mobile phone to name a few.

All of these devices can be used on a Bluetooth-enabled computer without any third-party software installed. I know I've tried this personally with my Nintendo Wii controllers before I sold my Wii.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Moved to Blue Tooth Forum if no replies here then post on end users forum http://www.nokia.com/discussions.

Ron

Hi. My last phone was a k700i and it's one feature i greatly missed when i got a 5800XM. The guy is right, every ericsson phone i've come across had HID. I first found out about it when i was told about a guy that used his phone to navigate through his company presentation and it was available on every SE phone i checked. When i saw it listed on the 5800XM i thought it was supported too. There are remote applications for symbian, but the ones i've come across aren't true HID and require a client installed on the target PC as well as having very limited functionality. I didn't realize just how major the ericsson HID was until i lost it.

I don't think it's patented either. Nokia is supposed to support it on the feature list. One odd thing tho, k700i was supposed to be an HID device and i can use it on any PC, since the 5800XM is not an HID client, i thought that maybe it's an HID host so i tried it. It didn't work. So it's not an HID client nor an HID host.

I hope this function gets added. The ericsson HID can use the phone's joystick to control your mouse cursor, would be cool if you can use the 5800XM touchscreen as a touchpad.

BTW, the bluetooth FTP was also missing on the 5800XM (Also standard on SE's) and it got added through an app i downloaded so i can now browse my PC again. I'm hoping the HID is a software issue as well and can be added in the firmware or atleast release an HID application.

After some searching, apparently, the 5800 doesn't natively support HID. You have to find and install additional programs to connect your HID accessories. I still can't find any way to turn the 5800 into an HID.

Here's an example of the ericsson HID in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIxfIfR7hd4

I've been using the k700i to connect to my PC and control winamp, video players, tv tuners, pdf readers, etc. The joystick also controls the mouse cursor.

The 5800 can potentially one-up the SE simply because it can make any kind of layout on the touchscreen and even emulate a touchpad. It can probably even emulate a joystick with a virtual joystick on the touchpad or using the accelerometer for steering.