Discussion Board

JSR 179: External Bluetooth GPS disable, internal GPS enable

Hi there and thanks in advance for the help you could give me:

I'm working in a J2ME project with GPS/cellID localization compatible with a large range of phones, and i'm using JSR 179. My problem is that I need to use GPS localization only when the device has an internal GPS. Otherwise (case of external bluetooth GPS), i would like to disable the GPS functionally using cellID instead. But the fact is that JSR 179 doesn't provide any method to determine if the GPS used is internal or you need to connect bluetooth. When calling the instruction " LocationProvider.getInstance(criteria)" (where criteria is well defined before), I get a pop up with the available bluetooth devices around if the device has not internal gps, just what i want to avoid. is there any way to do that? thanks again...

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: JSR 179: External Bluetooth GPS disable, internal GPS enable

Quote Originally Posted by insrla00 View Post
    Hi there and thanks in advance for the help you could give me:

I'm working in a J2ME project with GPS/cellID localization compatible with a large range of phones, and i'm using JSR 179. My problem is that I need to use GPS localization only when the device has an internal GPS. Otherwise (case of external bluetooth GPS), i would like to disable the GPS functionally using cellID instead. But the fact is that JSR 179 doesn't provide any method to determine if the GPS used is internal or you need to connect bluetooth. When calling the instruction " LocationProvider.getInstance(criteria)" (where criteria is well defined before), I get a pop up with the available bluetooth devices around if the device has not internal gps, just what i want to avoid. is there any way to do that? thanks again...
    In location API if internal GPS is not available then it will try to find External GPS so if you can find the property that weather internal GPS is available or not. Even you can create database and check it with phone models which i think you should be able to get with any property. But i accept that this is work around not a solution.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: JSR 179: External Bluetooth GPS disable, internal GPS enable

well so yo uwant to avoid the Bluetooth GPS request when the JSR-179 api's are available but no internal GPS ?
    Then you cannot do that programmatically... but.. your user can set up the device to act according to that wish... He can set up in the Preferences of the Device the Location preferences, where the methods to acquire a Location are displayed... Every single one of these methods (GPS, AGPS, Network Based and Bluetooth GPS) can be selected or deselected, when you deselect one it wont be used by the JSR179 API's...