Discussion Board

Application fails to launch on target device

Hi

My application does not launch when transferred to the target device (The application I am working on is based on S60 WebKit source). Once I tranfer my application to the device, if I click on the application, nothing happens. There is no error message or log message.

I tried on device debugging, but the debugger simply shows an alert message "A problem has occurred" without any details. Hence I am unable to debug my application.

I have TRK running on my device and the connection is "available". I am using S60 SDK 3, FP1 and Carbide v2.0.

Since I am new to the platform I don't know how to approach this problem. Any help or pointers in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
    Adarsh
    --

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Application fails to launch on target device

Quote Originally Posted by adarshbhat View Post
    Hi

My application does not launch when transferred to the target device (The application I am working on is based on S60 WebKit source). Once I tranfer my application to the device, if I click on the application, nothing happens. There is no error message or log message.

I tried on device debugging, but the debugger simply shows an alert message "A problem has occurred" without any details. Hence I am unable to debug my application.

I have TRK running on my device and the connection is "available". I am using S60 SDK 3, FP1 and Carbide v2.0.

Since I am new to the platform I don't know how to approach this problem. Any help or pointers in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
    Adarsh
    --
    Enable extended panic code and you might get more information of the error. http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code

Try inserting debug logs inside your project. Some sort of panic should have been shown, if panics were enabled and your application had started and crashed. Also check the UID and Pkg file.

Thanks a lot for your replies. This really helped me in getting some clue about the crash, now I get "System Error (-1)" whenever I try to launch my app.

I did look into some other threads which discuss this error. Probably this is an indication that I may be missing some resources or dll or my application may not be built properly. The problem is I use WebKit build script to build and package my application, and I have very little idea about the interdependencies in the WebKit.

Is there any way I could generate some more detailed log about what is really wrong with my app? Since on device debugging fails and I fail to hit main entry point of my application, I suspect the problem could be a missing DLL or my application itself is not built properly. Is there any way to analyze this?

Thanks and Regards
    Adarsh
    --

check the images or any other resources are packaged propely in pkg file

As suspected I missed to install a DLL. But, now I get "Main KERN EXEC 3". To see if any of my code causing the problem I commented out everything from E32Main(). I still get the same "Main KERN EXEC 3".
    This happens only on the device, I never faced any problem with the emulator build. And since I don't hit E32Main I can't debug the application.

It could be an issue with initializing static/global variables. But since codebase is huge, I can't really manually check the code. Any suggestions on how to debug this?

Thanks and Regards
    Adarsh
    --

Super Contributor

It could be an issue with initializing static/global variables. But since codebase is huge, I can't really manually check the code. Any suggestions on how to debug this?
    most probably it has nothing to do with static/global variables. you have to check in either way.

This looks like an S60 WebKit issue. Googling for "WebKit KERN EXEC 3" took me to this link: http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermai...st/004609.html

If anyone has worked on S60 webkit and solved this problem, please help.

Thanks and Regards
    Adarsh
    --