Discussion Board

Question [moved] Calendar DB edit? (Nokia 5800 XM)

Is it possible to directly edit the Calendar's database?

The reason is - I've synchronized it with Google Calendar and, as some of you might know, there is a sad disagreement between Google Sync and Nokia's Mail for Exchange regarding all-day event format. Google's all-day events are translated into virtually 24-hour long Meeting events in Nokia's Calendar. Needless to say Memo events would have worked better (one might even fancy that some day Google or Nokia engineers would guess that yearly repeated all-day events should be translated into Anniversary type events, duh!)

Now, having the Calendar on my 5800 XM full of stupid 24-hour long Meetings instead of birthdays or personal holidays I've entered into Google Calendar, I'd really like to change them into Memos an Anniversaries. Unfortunately, neither Nokia PC Suite not OVI online Calendar offer such an option. So that leaves direct DB edit, which is the point of my message. What application can I use to edit the Calendar's database?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Calendar DB edit? (Nokia 5800 XM)

Actualy, since we are on a forum reserved for software developers, your option is rather to write a application which uses the calendar APIs to access the database and to make the required changes. We do not offer a tool for direct database editing although you might find a 3rd party solution if you Google for it.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

I'm sorry, I must have misplaced my initial post (as I'm not a developer myself). However, could you please direct me to a proper forum section where I can contact Mail for Exchange developers (as this whole issue seems to be MfE's fault)?

As for 3rd party solutions, so far I've found but one supporting 5800 (Oxygen), but it does not allow editing event type. No you know any other?
    Last edited by Elenhil; 2009-09-10 at 14:01.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenhil View Post
    I'm sorry, I must have misplaced my initial post (as I'm not a developer myself). However, could you please direct me to a proper forum section where I can contact Mail for Exchange developers (as this whole issue seems to be MfE's fault)?

As for 3rd party solutions, so far I've found but one supporting 5800 (Oxygen), but it does not allow editing event type. No you know any other?

The proper forum is http://www.nokia.com/discussions/

Ron

Re: [moved] Calendar DB edit? (Nokia 5800 XM)

I have a N8 and installed googasync, which worked very well on my N86 and sync'd google calendar to my phone great... (I admit I really use google calendar for backup more than anything), I found after doing a full sync to restore my calendar to the new N8, all of my All day events such as birthdays etc,etc were changed to 12am-12am ie, all day meetings, some even went over 2 days instead of the original all day event... I thought it was a bug in googasync so I tried setting up Mail for exchange instead and got that to sync to my googlecalendar, deleted all my calendar entries on the N8 and did another sync using MFE, this also did the same thing and restored all day events as meetings from 12am-12am.... i found that when I changed some entries back to be correct they looked fine on the N8 then do a sync back to googlecalendar with MFE or googasync and both times the calendar entries are changed back to 12am-12am meetings (ie all day meeting). I use all day events alot... reminders, birthdays which are repeated yearly...

come on nokia this is rubbish for anyone like me who use the calendar for business... also the calendar widget is rubbish only slowing 1-2 entries.... I put on ComingNext app / wdiget which is much better and nokia should realise that people want more than 1-2 upcoming calendar entries on the home screen.... I like to see at least 6-8 upcoming things to plan my week ahead..

help nokia?? are you listening?? ps I've gone back to my N86... having a calendar which is reliable is important!! my N8 is just a toy at the moment..