Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

need guidelines for my mobile application plz

id like to create a mobile application that

1- searches and browses through pictures or files. file type is not important. i just want the app to have a special folder for these files and it brwoses through them and searches. the interface i have in mind is much like the phonebook in my nokia 5800.

2- sends the file from one cell phone to another. usually we can send just about anything via bluetooth or infra red. again, my mobile app should have a folder that stores the files.

3- allows a computer application to connect to it (cell will b connected to laptop/pc) and display on the pc/laptop screen the list of files where if i delete a file, the list will b updated on my cell. and if i send it a file from my pc, it'll store it in the mobile app's folder. This 3rd function is pretty much like ovi.

All I know about my nokia device is that it uses symbian 6v5. thts it I also no how to program in java so i THINK mobile java is kinda similar.

Anyways can you please provide me with some guidelines? At least tell me which part of the forums do i go to and post this. Mobile java? or Symbian c++ or?
    Thanx.
    EDIT: i posted this here and symbian c++ tool kits subforums. I don't mean to double post. I'm rather eager to get started and didnt want to wait to get a response so I posted this everywhere I could.

Regular Contributor

Re: need guidelines for my mobile application plz

I´d develop it using Python as it more flexible than JavaMe also easier to communicate with PC applications through Bluetooth. Seems you´re a new developer so c++ would be a bit complicated for you.

Check on Python Wiki

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Category:Python

Also on Python Discussion Boards
    Wiki Contributor of the Month (May).
    Winner of the May Contest on Wiki.

Regular Contributor

Hi cabez and thnx for the response. Yes this is all new to me. So what you're telling me is that my mobile application (the one ill b using in my mobile) can b coded with python and it'll perform the above functions right?
    Also, is their any speficic language i should be using to write an application for my pc that will connect to my cellphone?
    why bluetooth? why not a cable? i recall seeing a section here for connecting phones to pcs. havent checked it yet tho.
    Finally, will my mobile application be limited to nokia cellphones only? if i wanted to expand, what language should i use?

EDIT: i forgot to add this. As you already mentioned, it is quite obvious that I'm new to all this which is why i've posted similar topics in 6 ajax forums thinking its the way to go. So far only 2 responses including yours were made. The other gentlemen suggested i check http://www.asp.net/mobile/. I read a bit, got lost of course, and replied back with what little i understood. He said that he's worked on mobile websites. In Vs2005 there are mobile controls which u can use for Building the website and U donot have To care about Device On which it is Been seen. http://www.w3schools.com/dotnetmobile/default.asp Some of these controls are listed in that site. Vs2003 and 2008 dont have these which is why i should stick to VS2005.
    Now, VS2005 for the computer application and python for the mobile application. Is there any conflict in compatibility when i connect the phone to the pc and have my pc app access the phone?

Thank you again.
    Last edited by WildHeart; 2009-09-10 at 01:48.

Regular Contributor

Yes it can be coded in python for S60, it´s a modified version of python within s60 specific modules added.

I suggested bluetooth because it´s simple to implement but you can use other connections types.

If you use python for S60 your application will be limited to S60 devices, if you´re planning to use the app on other devices i suggest you to use JavaME.

It has been a long time since i made a application using bluetooth to communicate, but it doesn´t matter if it´s a pc->pc, pc->mobile or mobile->mobile communication in the end you´re transfering binarys (if you use OBEX protocol) or strings (using RFCOMM).
    Wiki Contributor of the Month (May).
    Winner of the May Contest on Wiki.

Regular Contributor

Hello,
    to achieve a wide range of devices I would develop with JavaME.

1. U can use JSR 75 to access your files
    2. As cabezonxdg suggested, it would be easier to use Bluetooth as the techonoly to transfer your data. An important note is:
    3. In you client-side app, you can use directly the jsr82 for bluetooth connection in JavaME. Howeverm, In your server-side (desktop app), you can also use another JSR82 implementation called BlueCove (http://code.google.com/p/bluecove/wiki/Documentation)

[]'s

Regular Contributor

I spoke to my friend. It just so happened that he worked this summer on a similar project and suggested that i use c# for both the website and the mobile application thereby avoiding any possible problems compatibility wise. I asked him if i could use ajax for the site and c# for the mobile app and he said yes. So I think i'll do it like this. I have some experience with c# so I'll start with the mobile application first.
    However, he did leave before i remembered to ask him this question so i hope you can answer it for me: with my new 'plan', i am no longer limited to just symbians right?
    Also, do i still use visual studio 2005 (check preivous post about reasons to use 2005 not 2008) or since ill b using c# i can just get 2008 instead?
    Also, the reason why i don't want to use bluetooth as my sole method of transfer is because I'd like to test this out first myself. And then have some friends test it with me. Some of them use desktops not laptops which is why ill b relying on cables. Of course, if i got some time ill definitely add bluetooth to it.
    Thanx again.

Nokia Developer Champion

are you asking if you're not limited to SYmbians with C# ?
    Well, I guess you are talking about the combination C# and .Net compact Framework...
    Then you would be limited to Windows Mobile devices, that means NO Symbian devices and NO J2ME devices will run your app... So the only platform you will be able to run your app will be Windows Mobile...

Actuallu, just to be specific, no Nokia device runs Windows Mobile, so no Nokia device will run your C# app...