Discussion Board

remote access to 5800?

I have developed an application for the xpressmusic 5800 that is to run on the phone constantly for several months. The phone will be in a remote location sending data back to a server. I would like to be able to log into the phone remotely to make sure the program is running as expected. Ideally I would like some kind of remote desktop type access so I can check 1. what applications are currently running 2. If my application has stopped I would like to restart it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Heather

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: remote access to 5800?

You could create an other application for this purpose. It could run in the background (even autostarted if the device reboots), and use TApaTaskList and/or TFindProcess for listing active applications. It could also watch for specially formatted SMS-s, and initiate a connection towards you when needed.
    Connecting to a mobile phone from outside is usually not viable, because it has NAT-ed + unknown IP address at the same time, if we are talking about mobile IP (WLAN would be a bit easier).
    If you are interested about the details, autostart is a good search key for the Wiki, and the plugin pack on http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/SDK_API_Plug-in contains the SMS Utilities API.

Thanks for the advice!
    I have another question. I noticed that when I run my custom application the first time it runs it asks for the users permission to connect to the web using the default access point. Is there anyway to bypass needing this user input? I have also noticed that after an extended period of time ie. 12 hours it will ask *again*. Perhaps if it lost the first connection and then re-gained it. This is a big problem for a program that is supposed to run autonomously...

Nokia Developer Moderator

Which question do you mean?
    The accesspoint selection dialog can be bypassed via starting an RConnection with pre-configured selection - you will definitely find related examples in the Wiki if you search for this class.
    However the "Create WLAN connection in offline mode?" question is an other thing - I do not know if it can be bypassed, but my guess would be 'no'.

I think it is device specific. On the 5800 I am using I went into each access point and set it to run "automatically" instead of after approval. Seems to be working so far!