Discussion Board

Playing sound on Nokia 3510i and 7210

Hello

I try to add the music to my J2ME application for 3510i and 7210. Both phones can play polyphonic melodies - when I upload them and use them manually as the ring tone. But when I split my 4-channels MIDI to 4 .ott files and try to play it by midlet - it sounds very sad ( If I try to play each .ott voice separately - each of them plays using the only musical instrument (every channel use the SAME instrument). If I try to play voices simultaneously (in various combinations) - the result is the silence or strange sounds

If somebody knows that - please tell me:
    * is this possible to set the desired melody instrument when I play .ott sound fragment from J2ME midlet?
    * Is it possible to play several voices (in case of 3510i & 7210, I think, its 4) simultaneously?
    I see that my phones CAN do that. But I dont know how to do that by J2ME midlet.

Hoping for the wise advice,
    Yana

Regular Contributor
    OTT is a file format for single channel tone sequence i.e. you can play only one "channel" from a MIDI tone and so on, after you convert it to Nokia UI API playable format. (In Nokia Developer's Suite v1.1 you have already an audio converter to convert one MIDI channel into various formats.)

As both 3510i and 7210 do not support the Mobile Media API, it is not possible to use MIDI (or any other polyphonic) sounds in your MIDlet, regardless of the fact that both phones play MIDI files as ringtones.

Kind regards,
    Tinke / FN

Super Contributor
    Does this mean that I can't play polyphonic tones with J2ME on any of these phones?

yes

Super Contributor
    Well, all I can say about that is:
    That sucks!!