Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

SMS sent to particular port

Hi all
    i want some information on SMS sent to particular port in J2ME ,i.e there is 2 application
    1)1st application will send the SMS to a port 16000 and
    2)2nd application will listen on port 16000 , as it recives message on that port it display the recived message on the handset.

so i want to known that SMS sent to the paticular port(16000) will be stored inside the device/port ? (or will SMS only be available during the notification i.e will device will atutomatically deletes the SMS on port )

if the SMS is stored then is it required to delete the SMS ?

How to delete SMS that is recived on particular port in J2ME?

Regards
    Divya

Super Contributor

Re: SMS sent to particular port

If the application is running, the message will be delivered to the application, and will not be stored.

If the application is not running, but is registered to that port in the push-registry, then the application will be launched and everything will proceed as above.

If the application is not running, and there is no push-registration, the message will go to the normal SMS inbox like any other message.

Graham.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    If the application is running, the message will be delivered to the application, and will not be stored.

If the application is not running, but is registered to that port in the push-registry, then the application will be launched and everything will proceed as above.

If the application is not running, and there is no push-registration, the message will go to the normal SMS inbox like any other message.

Graham.
    is it required to clear the push registry ,will it get full at any point

Super Contributor

The push-registry doesn't store messages. It is just a list that associates applications with port numbers.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    The push-registry doesn't store messages. It is just a list that associates applications with port numbers.
    ok thanks for the information so no need to worry of the SMS sent to particular port

Hi,

It is not necessary like If the application is not running, and there is no push-registration, the message will go to the normal inbox. It won't happen in all the phones. If I am wrong please correct me.

Super Contributor

My understanding is that messages to ports that are not associated with any app should go to the inbox. This ensures that the user still sees messages like MMS pushes, even if their phone doesn't understand them.

However:

1. I don't have any documentation that states this, so it's quite possible that I'm wrong.

2. Even if I'm right, it doesn't mean that all phones work correctly.

Cheers,
    Graham.

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: SMS sent to particular port

First of all if some sms is listen on some specific port then it is necessary that the application should be in active state to listen that sms. If the application is not running then the sms will got to native inbox. But if ur application is registered to some port through pushregistry then ur application will get invoked by AMS. There is no any storage box which stores the sms's sent to specific port but not listened by application due to its current inactive state. In this situation Sms will go to nativa inbox.
    thanks,
    jitu_goldie..

KEEP TRYING..