Discussion Board

Online signed application does not start

Hello!
    My question is as follows. I'm trying to set up simple client-server application so that server starts on device startup, using Startup List API. I have a S50 5th edition device (Nokia 5800), it seems to support this API.
    So, the API requires that the file being started is signed. I'm using free Open Signed Online facitity from SymbianSigned.com. I've obtained two protected UIDs for the app (both for client and server), have build the sis and signed it online. However, the signed application is installed but does not start (at least its client part) - when clicking its icon nothing happens... There seems to be no problems with the application, since the same self-signed application works fine (but does not auto-start, and it's expected). Where can I go wrong?
    I've just started with Symbian C++ programming, so sorry if my question seems stupid. Thanks to everyone for consideration!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Online signed application does not start

Here is the way of enabling error messages on the device: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code (you need the .sis file downloadable from the last line of the S60 3rd-edition section).
    Re-check the UID-s, the old UID should not appear anywhere (absolutely no occasion in files, and generally it is better to replace it in filenames too).

Smile Re: Online signed application does not start

wizard_hu_, thank you very much! The problem was really in old UIDs in the code. Also, I had to clean the project after correcting all UIDs. So, rule for everyone (especially newcomers to Symbian C++) who want to change UIDs - use "search in files" facility to replace UIDs.
    Still, autostart does not work, but this is topic for another research, I'll ask in corresponding thread if I don't have any success.

Nokia Developer Moderator

It is not that complex, you can check my findings in #39 of http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=138079

Decided to write my final results here - maybe this would help someone. The problem was in the server application opening global semaphore so that client is notified of server startup. When autostarting, there was obviously no such semaphore created by client - and this caused panic. Now everything starts up fine. Thanks again wizard_hu_!