Discussion Board

cannot transfer the program to the phone

hello everyone,
    i am new to symbian, but an old java programmer.
    i saw the presentations here for getting started, and i already installed the required features (i hope). I am using Eclipse (and got the eclipseMe plugin). i copied the "hello world" example from the presentation and it's running on my computer (i see some graphical nokia phone on the screen with the output). my problem is that i don't know how to transfer the program to my nokia N85 phone. i tried to run the hello.jar file from the project directory with the Nokia PC Suite install application wizard but i am getting an message in my phone that say the the jar file is illegal or error. what am i missing here? please help me
    thanks

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: cannot transfer the program to the phone

You need to transfer both JAD & JAR file of your app; to the mobile phone using Bluetooth (to messeging inbox) or PCSuite (copy it to some folder in memory card). Now click on the JAD file in the inbox (or using devic file manger) and it will install your app on the device.

thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Thanks for the quick answer, but it is still doesn't work.
    i tried to copy both files (hello.jar & hello.jad) to separate directory and to run the jad file from there, using the file manager. it's start with the installation (on N85) but at the end it's says the the jar file is wrong or something like that (in my language).
    do i need to create some special jar & jad files or the ones that the eclipse creates during the compilation is enough? i didn't configure nothing in the eclipse or in the project properties and i just took the files with it creates for the running simulator (the nokia graphics phone with the output). i read something about 'antenna' and stuff like that, is something of that configurations suppose to solve the problem i m dealing with?

thanks in advance,

Itay

Super Contributor

It may be that there is something wrong with your JAD and/or JAR. You should be able to install the JAR only (without the JAD), unless the application is digitally signed (I'm guessing it isn't).

On Series 60s, if you install through the Message Inbox, make sure the Inbox is empty before you send the files to the phone.

Many J2ME developers have problems installing their first app. Try reading Why Doesn't My MIDlet Run? for a guide to some common problems. My guess would be that the problem is in your JAR's MANIFEST file.

If nothing helps, post back here with the contents of the JAD and MANIFEST.

Cheers,
    Graham.

I made it!
    with the EclipseMe site... there are instr. there step by step, and i configured some things as they explained and now it's work! h-e-l-l-o w-o-r-l-d !!!