Discussion Board

Reset E75 using *#7370#

Hi,

I noticed when I reset E75 using *#7370# applications, call log and contacts are not erased from the phone. As far as I know all other Nokia phones do default back to factory default settings when using *#7370#.

- Is this a bug?

- Is there a place where the behaviour of the phone when using *#7370# is defined?

- Any other method to bring back the E75 to factory default settings?

We use this approach for (formal acceptance) testing purposes to always start a test under the exact same conditions.

Best regards,

Rene Heuven
    www.inmote.com
    www.twitter.com/inmote
    E rene@inmote.com
    Rene Heuven
    Inmote - Creative Smartphone Solutions
    Web: www.inmote.com
    E-mail: rene@inmote.com

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Reset E75 using *#7370#

that should indeed reset the devices, and I don't have the device to verify the behaviour, anyway I would suggest also asking this in the end-user discussion board, there might know it better in there: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

'RES ' and 'RST ' do two different things. The former one just deletes a couple things, but does not affects most user data: epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\z\private\100059c9\script0.txt
    On the other hand, *#7780# really formats the internal drive: epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\z\private\100059c9\script1.txt

Do I really remember incorrectly, I basically sort-of-remembered that 7780 is soft reset, and 7370 the hard one ?, could be of course that I'm mistaken..

Also it appears it is not really well discussed in end-user forum either: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...sage.id=102247

Hmm, my bad, 7370 is supposed to be the 'hard' one. Rene may have really found a firmware bug.

Nokia Developer Champion

I have tried *#7370# on E75, though I am not sure of which Firmware, and it worked fine.
    I dont have the device with me now to verify this, but I remember the hard reset working fine.

So it looks like there is some other problem, may be a different firmware bug...
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Yep, should always remember that, before reporting bugs, it would be a good idea to try out the latest firmware to see whether it is already fixed..

Dont have the device right now with me to check again, but till a couple of weeks back, it worked fine with atleast 2 different firmwares (including the 'then' latest one!). So I dont really think its something to do with firmware bug.

Super Contributor

I also must say we did the same with our pim product and have not noticed any issues.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Hi,

sorry - I did not consider this a highly important issue for me. And I am supprised some many people responsed . My firmware is:

Software version

Software version date
    28-05-09

Custom version

Custom version date
    28-05-09

Language set

Model
    E75-1

Type
    RM-412

Last update
    Not updated

Thanks for the responses so far. The phone is not mine, so I would need to check if I am allowed to update the firmware.

BR,

Rene
    Rene Heuven

Hi,

I did some quick testing again. So after *#7370# applications (my application) is still installed. Also SMS message did not get erased. I also checked for a SW update, but appearantly this is the latest firmware for E75 as of today.

I posted the same question now in the end user forum: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...sage.id=102247.

Hopefully Nokia really does something with this feedback (although I do not have much confidence - my previous reported bugs were just closed after 10 days without any constructive feedback besides: yes, we received your bug report).

BR,

Rene
    Rene Heuven

The bug report system does not promise you any feedback, at best you will get a "not a bug" reply if the issue is found to be your problem. The output of the buig reporting process is in the Knowledge Base, your bug might show-up there once the entire issue is clarified and its impact evaluated.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

For the lack of feedback, I am not referring to this bug, but to a previous bug which I reported through Nokia LaunchPad pages (especially designed for bug reports).

I have submitted so far 2 bugs with a detailed description of steps to reproduce, expected outcome, actual results. If Nokia expects partners to invest time to document and report bugs in a consistent manner I also expect Nokia to respond and provide feedback instead of just closing the bug after 10 days.

For me this behaviour from Nokia side does not give me much confidence that quality is considered of high importance. An attitude where someone would say like: thanks for reporting, we will forward to this and this team, here is your ticket number so you can track your bug until it gets solved or rejected with "will not fix" seems a bit more appropriate. Otherwise I could just as well not report anything (and Nokia sorts out themselves their problems with their phones).

BR,

Rene
    Rene Heuven

I'm also talking about the same process and its terms and conditions. It should be improved perhaps but that's how it works now: you report the bug, we publish a known issue or technical solution.

A more transparent process is now available through the Symbian Foundation (for Symbian^1 and later code).
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite