Discussion Board

6310i internet connection

We have a 6310i and have successfully installed Simeda ActiveViewer (java vnc client) on it. We haven't yet succeeded in making a data connection to the internet to use this software. We could do (HS)CSD to a normal ISP or have a vodafone gprs sim. Has anyone successfully used ActiveViewer or any other java network application over the internet on these phones?

Any help gratefully received.

Andy

RE: 6310i internet connection

The 6310i's J2ME implementation uses the WAP internet settings, not the GPRS-modem settings. This might cause some trouble, as at least I haven't been able to set up a direct internet connection for Java applications - always through a WAP gateway.

Now, as the WAP gateway implementations may include some additional 'useful' information, HTTP tunneling becomes a non-trivial task.

RE: 6310i internet connection

You can use either HSCSD or GPRS. As long as your provider allows you to open an HTTP connection to our proxy server (located on a public server in the United States) you're good to go. If you can use WAP to browse to various pages on the net, your phone is probably set up correctly to use our ActiveViewer. Feel free to email me directly at razvan.dragomirescu@simeda.com if you need additional information.

Razvan Dragomirescu
    CTO
    SIMEDA GmbH