Discussion Board

Intercepting sms and KIoctlReadMessageFailed

Hi all,

i've another problem regarding intercepting sms.
    Sometimes I don't want to process received sms and would like to push back it to system (and let OS process incoming message).
    To do this I call iSocket.Ioctl() with parameter KIoctlReadMessageFailed. I thought that by this sms is handled by OS.
    But it doesn't work. It means - I got sms, check sender and body and decided to push back to OS. Expected result - sms is handled by OS and appears in inbox (*). Actual result: no new sms till I restart phone. If I restart device than I got the last sms.

(*) Sometimes I don't want to create sms using CSmsClientMtm. I'd prefer to process it by OS. It might be that OS do something special with some messages, for example - system sms. Or - I get sms class 2 - sms with delivery report. If I handle it by CSmsClientMtm than delivery report is not send to the sender.

Any idea how to solve it?
    Last edited by badzio; 2009-09-22 at 15:37.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Intercepting sms and KIoctlReadMessageFailed

have you read the rather long thread on the topic already: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=142132

dunno if it has answers for you, but at least this has been discussed earlier.

http://symbian.devtricks.mobi/tricks..._sms_messages/
    One more note before digging into the code. Even after you read the message from the SMS socket, the actual data is still persisted in the receiving queue. You have to sent the KIoctlReadMessageSucceeded command using the Ioctl() function to indicate, that the message was successfully received. Otherwise, all the messages you intercepted will appear in the native SMS inbox on the next reboot.
    That's why I get again the sms. So let's back to the question - how to push back sms to the OS? How to force OS to process message?

I had the same problem with iSocket.Ioctl().

If you want the OS to ignore the SMS, then call iSocket.Ioctl() with KIoctlReadMessageSucceeded. But if you want the SO to process SMS as usual, don't call anything.

You'll need ReadUserData capabilitie enabled too.