Discussion Board

Question Connecting S60 emulator to PC suite

Is there way, we can connect the S60 emulator to the Nokia PC suite installed on the system. The mechanism could be something like loop back. When we say "connect to the phone" from PC suite it should detect the S60 emulator and connect to that. Any suggestions.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Connecting S60 emulator to PC suite

You can experiment with BT/IrDA (doing that using two PC-s may be a lot easier), however note that Nokia PC Suite recognizes and uses Nokia products. It will not necessarily accept an S60 emulator.
    Anyway, if you decide to try, please share the results.

Regular Contributor

Dear all,

I have implemented an application in which a N97 mini device is connected to PC via USB in PC(Ovi) suite mode.
    This device application is a JME application and opens a connection using the CommConnection object to a USB port.(use of System.getProperty("microedition.commports") )
    On the other side, the PC application opens a connection and sends data to COM port where the N97 mini device is connected to, in its PC suite mode.

The communication is established successfully and N97 mini device receives messages from PC application.
    However, I am facing some problems trying to display the receiving messages in N97 mini device. The MIDlet is flashing periodically when it displays the message(not in Canvas, just some textFields within MIDlet)

I was wondering if I can emulate the above environment under S60 SDK emulator or N97 SKDK emualtor. I tried both the BT and IrDA from SDK emulator's Tools->Preferences choice.
    Unfortunately, I could not emulate to whole environment. Is it feasible to emulate it?

I really appreciate any help.

Regards,
    kalgik

Nokia Developer Moderator

Based on your description (the code works), it might not worth the effort to set up an emulation for that. If you decide to do so, you will need 2 of the given interface (2 BT devices communicating with each other or 2 IrDA ports facing to each other). Probably it is easier to do that with 2 PC-s.
    Personally I would rather try debugging the code on the device (if it is supported in Java ME), and decide if it is the code which periodically sets those labels/editors empty, or it may have some performance reasons (the device slows down during USB communication), and some kind of double buffering could help.