Discussion Board

EPOCHEAPSIZE doesn't work in Visual Studio 2005 Pro with Carbide.vs v3.0.1

I'm coding for the Nokia N95 8GB using the following IDE's:
    Carbide.c++ v2.0
    Visual Studio 2005 Pro with Carbide.vs v3.0.1

In ..Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\Data\epoc.ini the following line exists, allowing more than enough space on the simulator:
    Code:
    MegabytesOfFreeMemory 32
    In my .mmp file I have put the following as I require roughly a 2MB heap:
    Code:
    EPOCHEAPSIZE 2000000 2000000
    In Carbide, emulator and device builds respond to the command, giving me a 2MB heap.
    In Visual Studio, the command is ignored and I still receive the default 1MB heap. Why?

This feels a lot like a previous unresolved problem I've had concerning VS and the .mmp file, see this thread http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=169036

Help! Is there any way to get VS to obey the mmp file commands?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: EPOCHEAPSIZE doesn't work in Visual Studio 2005 Pro with Carbide.vs v3.0.1

It is unlikely that any Carbide.vs issues would be fixed in the future. The tool is revoked, you can not even download it from FN.

PS: in your other thread you have simply disappeared, and so it was a bit hard to find out if the suggestion worked or not - or you have tried it at all.

Apologies for disappearance, I did try everything suggested in the other thread, however nothing worked, and I figured that the answer was exactly as you stated, it's just not supported (I suppose referring to it as unresolved was the wrong word, my bad).

So you think the same thing is happening here? It just seems like a much more important option to lack support for...unless it didn't exist at the point in time the version of VS I'm using was released. However, doesn't that imply nobody tried to use more than a 1MB heap for 2nd Ed. FP2??
    Last edited by jgiffen; 2009-09-23 at 16:31.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I have not used Carbide.vs, but as I remember it has some option about keeping .mmp settings and its internal settings synchronized or not. If that option happens to be switched off, it may happen that your changes in the .mmp are simply ignored.

Talking Re: EPOCHEAPSIZE doesn't work in Visual Studio 2005 Pro with Carbide.vs v3.0.1

Alright I figured it out!
    After hunting through the project options to find what you had mentioned, I came across the answer.

In:
    Project
    Properties
    Configuration Properties
    System
    Linker
    heap reserve size
    heap commit size

These function identically to the arguments of EPOCHEAPSIZE, I obtained a 2MB heap in the simulator in VS with them.