Hi,

I need to know when Nokia is planning to implement real functionality behind the com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl-class for Series-60 devices (in my case a Nokia 3650)!!!

Currently situation:
I have an application that needs control of the duration of the background-light on the screen.
A quick view into the class-library of the "Nokia Series 60 MIDP Concept SDK Beta 0.2" shows that the emulator lacks the com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl-class, which programming of application that depend on this class.
As an experiment I reused the com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl-classfile from "Nokia Series 40 MIDP Concept SDK Beta 0.3" as a placeholder in the compilation and when executing the application on the Series 60-emulator. The "vibration" then works fine on the Series 60-emulator.

A deployment of the application into a Nokia 3650 shows that the phone doesn't respond either to controlling method-calls for the background-light and the vibrator. The class com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl on the device exist but is presumeably only a functionless "dummy"-class.

Extract of the api-test:
// test vibrator 5 seconds of 50 hertz => fails
com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl.startVibra(50,5000);

String msg=System.getProperty("microedition.platform")+";";
try {
Class devcontrol=java.lang.Class.forName("com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl");
msg=msg+devcontrol.toString();
} catch (Exception e) {
msg=msg+"#1#"+e.getMessage();
}

try {
com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl.startVibra(50,5000);
} catch (Exception e) {
msg=msg+"#2#"+e.getMessage();
}

TextBox t = new TextBox("MIDlet", msg, 256, 0);

t.addCommand(exitCommand);
t.setCommandListener(this);

// show if com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl-class exists
display.setCurrent(t);

// test background lights
com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl.setLights(0,0); // off
try {
Thread.sleep(2000);
com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl.setLights(0,100); // on
Thread.sleep(2000);
com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl.setLights(0,0); // off
Thread.sleep(20000); //
} catch (Exception e) {}
com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl.setLights(0,100); // on

Conclusion:
1. The "Nokia Series 60 MIDP Concept SDK Beta 0.2" vaguely supports vibration-control (as specified in the attached Nokia legacy API) => only with a class-reuse trick
2. The "Nokia Series 60 MIDP Concept SDK Beta 0.2" supports not background-light-control (as specified in the attached Nokia legacy API)
3. !!! The physical Series-60 device (Nokia 3650, firmware V 2.50, 13-02-2003 NHL-8) does not support ANY background light and vibration-control in contrary to it's specification in the "Nokia Series 60 MIDP Concept SDK Beta 0.2" !!!

Regards,

Sascha Dibbern