Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Smile Qt apps in browser

Hi,

Isn't it a good idea to run Qt applications in browser ? I was thinking about java applets. The same code used for an application
    can be run inside a browser with some changes. It would be great if we can do that with Qt, with a small firsttime install like flash.
    Java applets failed mostly because the big plugin download size. If this can be done, then truely Qt will be everywhere. Is there any
    efforts in that direction or is it not feasible ?

Regards,
    Jaak

Regular Contributor

Re: Qt apps in browser

No it is not a good idea:
    1. Qt apps are native code compared to java. You would have to have version for each supported plattform
    2. You dont have the concept of a "sandbox". No one wants to to have code downloaded and executed that can harm the machine.
    3. It is basically the same as an ActiveX controll. You can create ActiveX using Qt but it will only run in IE@Win
    4. More and more online applications use AJAX for the presentation layer. You can of course style a Qt application but your designer will have a hard time compared to HTML/Flash.
    5. If you want to do serious business within that application, you and also your customer wants to have an window and entry in the taskbar and you won't have your application closed because it is in one of many browser tabs and the browser quits.

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Qt apps in browser

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

Jaak
    Last edited by 1xuname1x; 2009-09-29 at 05:46.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it needs some kind of runtime like flash or Java. True, currently Qt apps are native executables. But I do think
    it is a good idea to develope a Qt runtime so that we can run Qt apps in a browser. I have been developing both mobile
    applications and web applications. The presentation layer for web apps is a total mess. Html mixed with jsp tags and again
    some java script. I feels the java applet way is much more clean. Java apps can be run both as a native executable and in the VM.
    So I think it is feasible to develop a Qt runtime for the browser. May be it is a lot of work. But if it is done, Qt can be
    truely everywhere.

The designers should create the gui in an app like photoshop and the programmers can implement those in the Qt app just like we do
    in desktop applications. Instead of these we inventing more and more technologies. Ajax, flex, sliverlight, Javafx. These are
    just my ideas or what I like. The reason is I think the Java applet way is more straightforward for programmers.

Regards,
    Jaak

Regular Contributor

Well, the idea behind Qt is to be a NATIVE toolkit. Of course it would be cool to have some sort of runtime but what does this have to do with Qt? I'm currently developing an application that uses lots of native code because it deals with a lot of hardware. This will never run in such a runtime although it is a Qt application. Why do you want to have yet another browser runtime? Whats wrong with Java, Flash or Silverlight? Why should there be a forth runtime? Qt aims at a different market.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

There is nothing seriously wrong with Java applets. The plugin is bulky though. But this is not a serious drawback
    if the app is useful. But I'am impressed with how simple Qt is even if it is based on c++ and thought it would be
    cool to be able use it for developing web applications also. Thats all. The other toolkits like flash I dont know.
    For some 3 yrs now I have been working on mobile applications and I don't know If I work on web applications ever
    again. If I know Qt then I'am a mobile and desktop application developer at the same time. If we can use Qt for
    web development, then at the same time we are web application developers also. The reason I thought like this
    may be because I have to work on desktop, web and mobile projects. Though for last 3 yrs I have been a mobile
    developer, I may still need to work on web projects. You can imagine the range of things needed to learn.

Regards,
    JAAK

Regular Contributor

You might want to have a look at this: http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2009...th-qwebclient/

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the link

Regards,
    Jaak

Hey thanks for the discussion. Our team is developing an Qt application and we were thinking if we could get corresponding website with little changes. It seems there is no escape from creating a website.

Regards,
    Ritesh

gtk+ is able to do it somehow.
    http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2011/03/...ser-no-really/
    Launch GTK Apps in Your Web Browser; No, Really!

Therefore, I presume that Qt could also do it. They say it works because of HTML5.

Richard