Discussion Board

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sales reports

Smile Re: Sales reports

I guess I just want to push some steam out of my system.
    the ovi store is by far the worst I've seen in terms of the way it works for both users and customers.
    the reports not showing for days is just a symptom I think, the whole infrastructure below seems bad and non functional.
    examples?
    we've tried to change the price on our products, this was I think two weeks ago, the price change action turned out to put our products into
    pending QA (!@$#$), not sure for what reason. no update has since been made in our account to reflect the price change, and we are still in pending QA status. however, it seems that the products are on sale (for the old price). I'm saying seem because the only way to get to our products is by searching (not ovi search, GOOGLE search). our products have been on sale for over a month but they cannot be found in any way in the ovi store search, not through the product name, not the company name and not any other term you can think of.
    moving on, the support, we've tried emailing the ovi team many many times, sometimes we even got a reply, not that it was helpful, it always seems like a reply from someone that is not a real part of the technical team, "I'm looking into your question", most of our questions are very very simple (because we've learned that the simple things you have in other catalogs simply don't work here),
    in any case, with many many years of publishing in mobile portals, including the infamous AppStore from apple, we've never experience such issues,
    I don't think ovi is ready for the market and the time frames they work in are simply unacceptable.

As i said, had to get some steam out of my system,
    :-)
    --tzurs

Regular Contributor

Re: Sales reports

Hi tsayag.

I've got to admit that I feel exactly the same as you and I agree with your points.

It is really extremely frustrating that so much is going wrong with the store. It seems from the recent Ovi developer conference, that Nokia knows about the problems. There were a lot of angry people there, so if Nokia didn't know beforehand, they should know by now.

I really wish and hope that all these teething problems will be sorted out within the next quarter at the latest. If not, I am afraid it will really start to hurt Nokia's business in favor of other vendors. Selling apps via webstores like Handango etc, is not really an acceptable alternative.

Smile Re: Sales reports

I have to admit I'm rather skeptic of Nokia's ability to make these things right, my conclusion is based on something completely different but I think it is a reflection of Nokia's organization problem and dna which we see across everything they do basically with respect to software, examples:
    1) it the nokia PC suite application (the pc to phone connectivity stuff) about 5 years I think to get to a situation it works reasonably. I'm sure everyone remembers the frustration of trying to get pc suite to connect to a phone over bluetooth. It was simply unbelievable that for years they were unable to get it right.
    2) the nokia development env./simulators. For years they have been shipping sdks in amazing 300MB size. These sdks had so many problems and the main one was that it takes such simulator around 2-3 minutes to just load. load. releasing such a product to developers is amazing. its like they leave in a different world. some reality of their own. the amount of money we've lost due to developers unable to maintain a consistent code, test, debug, fix, test because of the useless simulators is difficult to even estimate. I can just say that it was not uncommon in the days that a developer would approach me and ask to stop working in this env. because he is spending half of the day in trying to get things to run and the frustration is too much.
    3) Devices going out to market with incredible bugs, I mean really bugs that you look and wonder how is it possible that a manager responsible for the product can allow. Take the N95 jvm, it takes over 5 seconds to start a midlet. start a midlet, not run the code itself, just to start a midlet. Such issues are just unacceptable.

the above are just examples.

As I said, I now believe that this is just a real problem in the Nokia organization DNA and I don't believe it will ever change significantly. Unfortunately, they own a large portion of the device space, at least in Europe.

again, nothing pragmatic in my 5 cents here, just blowing air.
    :-)
    --tzurs

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

I think tzurs has a point I recall Nokia made lousy TV's in the 50s too.

Seriously if you wish to complain about specific problems with Ovi Store we are here to listen. Be a part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Ron

Regular Contributor

Tzurs: regarding the SDK's, I think this is a whole different discussion that belongs to another thread. At least until in-app payment and downloadable content is a topic ;-)

Nokia Ron: I am really glad you took this one up, I for one, would love to help out. But in order to be able to be more helpful, we need more information on what is going on. It is a lot easier to deal with problems and frustrations, if the information is consistently at hand.

For instance: As Stewey said, that sales report issue is due to a dataflow issue and that R&D is working on it. Allright, good and nice to have that info. But what I keep wondering about is -

1. Is it because there is some new feature being installed?
    2. Or is it a plain hickup, that needs fixing?
    3. If it is part of a new feature (1.), maybe it would be a good idea to give a warning in advance that the next days sales reporting will be down, and an explanation on how the sales numbers are stored until the reporting is up and running again.

I can't speak for all in the world, but we as a publisher actually care about delivering products that run smooth on Nokia devices. I believe good experiences and high quality products has more value in the long term, as opposed to half-watered out software that is just "ported" and shoved onto a store. This is why I complain about the current situation, because this quality approach is difficult, if there is no reward and/or it is difficult to see in the horizon.

When I first heard about the Ovi Store, I thought "Yes baby! Now it will be realistic to do real Symbian or N-Gage versions of the games for the high/mid-end devices, since there will be a proper sales channel, and therefore the effort will be worth it!" - I sincerely still hope, that this day come...soon.

Currently we are doing J2ME, except for iPhone, but we have discussed about doing Symbian versions of our games, with more candy, better performance etc.etc., but we are still in doubt, because of said reasons. It is a shame, when we all know for a fact, that Symbian devices can do better.

Another general suggestion that I have is that Ovi should be more proactive, in informing publishers about plans, current problems, plans to rectify them, visions etc.

A last suggestion - this might be dangerous, since I don't know how the Ovi Store system is implemented and what is in the works - but: I think maybe it would be a good idea to focus on getting the already advertized features up and running in a solid manner with user insurance such as re-download, before starting to talk about recurring payment models, in app payments etc. Yes, they are important for the future, but less important than the rudimentary publishing/store functions.

With these basic functions in solid order, you will not need to spend so much time on dealing with frustrated customers and publishers, saving huge amounts of resources for quicker QA and the future ;-)

That's my 2 cents.

Best Regards,

Henrik Weide, Progressive Media.
    Last edited by henrikweide; 2009-09-28 at 19:36.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    I think tzurs has a point I recall Nokia made lousy TV's in the 50s too.

Seriously if you wish to complain about specific problems with Ovi Store we are here to listen. Be a part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Ron
    Hi Ron,

There are many posts on this forum which Nokia are probably acting on. But no-one outside Nokia is aware of any changes or forthcoming changes. For the developers nothing seems to change and a regression such as the Sales Report can generate increased frustration.

Hopefully, you won't mind me re-interating some points that have been already made in older posts. And no doubt Nokia is working on addressing them (as you may have already stated in previous posts).

1.Don't let RnD use the live system as a test platform. Ensure modifications are tested prior to release. There should never be a regression such as the Sales Report problem on a live system (or at the very least a regression should be a very rare occurance).

2.Communicate with developers.
    Tell us when something is going to change. Give us some notice so we're not left wondering why our sales have dropped to zero.
    Tell us when improvements will be made. Let us know that you're working on improvements. For example, tell us when you expect the search to be working and let us know if you're not going to make your forecasted date and why. Same for DRM – don't leave us coming back to the forums looking for status updates only to be disappointed, then frustrated and eventually disallusioned.

3.Go beyond what other the stores offer developers. Create a system in which developers believe they're intergral. Don't dismiss us as “third parties”. Give us a point of contact within Ovi so we're not repeating emails, explaining the problems to differrent staff members only to get the same suggested solution back. This can be frustrating.

Thanks for all the support todate.
    Spol

Quote Originally Posted by tsayag View Post
    I have to admit I'm rather skeptic of Nokia's ability to make these things right, my conclusion is based on something completely different but I think it is a reflection of Nokia's organization problem and dna which we see across everything they do basically with respect to software
    No, this is not part of Nokia's DNA. Its size makes it move slower than a small company, but even so I find it quite flexible for such a huge organization. Part of Nokia's DNA are high quality devices with excellent user interface (at least this is how I remember it from the late '90s and early 2000s)

But as Ron said we must focus on the solutions. Unfortunately as I have understood from Nokia World discussions, Ovi Store is an independent profit unit (i.e. its target is to make profit on its own). In my opinion this is the main problem. Ovi Store's main goal should be to make software development for Nokia profitable. As Henrik said to develop higher quality apps for Nokia platforms we need higher revenue from these platforms.

So, Ron please tell this to "the decision making" guys up there and let me know if they agree

I know that this kind of reasoning seems very biased towards our own interests, but to be honest I think its more important for you. If the boat is sinking we can easily get out of the boat, but it is your boat (Nokia's) ...

Best regards,
    Laurentiu T.
    Last edited by intellsys; 2009-09-29 at 22:22.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by intellsys View Post
    Unfortunately as I have understood from Nokia World discussions, Ovi Store is an independent profit unit (i.e. its target is to make profit on its own). In my opinion this is the main problem. Ovi Store's main goal should be to make software development for Nokia profitable. As Henrik said to develop higher quality apps for Nokia platforms we need higher revenue from this platforms.
    I do not see any difference from what you and Henrik have said and Nokia's stated goals. The only way to make OviStore profitiable is to enable easy application uploads and releases and to make them available to the end user quickly and easily. Have they reached that goal yet but they are rapidly closing in.

Also remember Ovi Store will have the largest userbase for mobile applications. That means publishers large and especially small will have access to millions of previously unreached customers.

Ron

Regular Contributor

That sounds good :-)

Best Regards,

All, Sorry for the delay getting back to this thread. Here's the update on the Ovi Publish reports. The rendering of paid content metrics in Ovi Publisher Paid Content reports UI are currently behind schedule. Metrics for paid content may show a lag of up to 8 days. The reporting data itself is not affected. Only the updating of the reports UI is impacted. Metrics for unpaid content are unaffected and are up to date.

A fix is currently being fast-tracked and I'll post another update here as soon as the paid content metrics are up to date. If you have any further questions as always, please contact Ovi Publish Support at publishtoovi.support@nokia.com

We appreciate your patience and regret any inconvenience this issue may cause you. More later - Eric

Regular Contributor

Hi Eric.

Thanks a lot for that information, it is really appreciated.

Best Regards,

Thanks for the update, hopefully the reports will be restored soon.

Any updates with the sales reports??

Regular Contributor

It seems the sales reports are up and running again. Ours just got updated.

Hopefully the search-function and re-download will work soon too.

Best Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by zoovision View Post
    Any updates with the sales reports??

All, Here's the official notice to pubishers on the fix to the Paid Content reports: -----------
    Please be advised: Phase 1 of the paid content reporting update, which we alerted you to earlier this week, begins October 3rd. Content purchases from the period of October 2nd onward will begin to appear in the paid content reports Revenue Estimates column and in the monthly report graph.

Please note, this Estimated Revenue number does not yet include data from the reporting lag period which began Sept 21st. Over the coming days, Phase 2 of the paid content reporting update will populate Revenue Estimate column and in the monthly report graphs. We expect the revenue estimate to be fully caught up — showing both new purchases and earlier purchases by end of the week of October 19th.

We regret any inconvenience this reporting lag may cause. If you have any questions about Ovi Publish reports or the Ovi Publish process, please contact Support at http://publish.ovi.com

SPECIAL NOTE: We will hold an informational webinar for Publishers on Thursday, October 8th. We will cover Reports as well as the payment process. Please keep an eye on your inbox early next week for the invitation to the event.

---------
    I'll post another update here with details on the webinar soon as they are available. More later - Eric