Discussion Board

Thread: OCR ON J2ME

Smile OCR ON J2ME

hello..

can you help me with my project?

im a graduating student my seniors project is about OCR on mobile using java.can you give me details and information where and what i will need inorder to do this project.

hoping for your reply.

thanks

divine87

Re: OCR ON J2ME

im exactly in the same situation
    its my bachelor project subject. i'll become realy happy if we could communicate with each other. i found some codes. its my yahoomail: sara.mansouri@yahoo.com

is there anybody help us?

hello iroosnamaras.

what is your update on your project?

Quote Originally Posted by iroosnamaras View Post
    im exactly in the same situation
    its my bachelor project subject. i'll become realy happy if we could communicate with each other. i found some codes. its my yahoomail: sara.mansouri@yahoo.com

is there anybody help us?
    Dear Sara,

currently i stuck with an ocr application that recognize arabic letters and numbers. so if you've reached anything kindly share it as i have no idea about it...

Thanks in advance.

Ahmed Abdelghany
    ahmed.m.abdelghany@hotmail.com

You need to split the task into bits:

1: Find the API that enables you to sample images from the camera (or more simply load them from the memory card after uploading them to the phone via USB from your computer)

2: A small simple interface to allow a user to pick the image/s they want to scan, a report page after the scan showing incorrectly spelt words, number of words on the page - and so on, and a bit of the interface to ask what folder the text file should be saved in.
    -I've got a small (ish) text file of English words - the simplest spell checker will just do a string find in this list for the next word the OCR found - it wont suggest anything if it doesn't find it, only flag it in a list of unrecognised words perhaps?)

3: The OCR system...

I think you'll find find many Java implementations of these on the internet.
    See how the algorithm works - ignoring the API's for image handling as they'll probably be different, and implement your own version.

Job done!

I've done similar in VBScript and some command line EXE's and a text file of words to correctly orientate Faxed files that are Emailed as Tiff's! Works a treat!

dear sarah
    i found your reply while searching about ocr using j2me
    i asked some people who told me that it's impossible to do that with j2meonly but i can recognize the image with j2me and do ocr using serve ,but you say it's possible
    can you told me the name of api that ineed exactly
    please reply me as soon as possible as itls my graduation project
    thx

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hagar00459 View Post
    dear sarah
    i found your reply while searching about ocr using j2me
    i asked some people who told me that it's impossible to do that with j2meonly but i can recognize the image with j2me and do ocr using serve ,but you say it's possible
    can you told me the name of api that ineed exactly
    please reply me as soon as possible as itls my graduation project
    thx
    If you can access individual pixels in a picture, then there's nothing that prevents you from writing also the OCR software to detect the characters in the picture.

In the case of J2ME (JME), it then becomes a question of which phone models you are targeting and whether you can squeeze the code to fit (some phones have very limited memory available), and whether the phone and your algorithm is fast enough for it to be usable (doesn't drain the battery, doesn't take "for ever" to process the picture).

All in all, it is definitely not impossible to do it in J2ME.

thx for your help i already make j2me camera using jsr234 and implment ocr using matlab and make connection of them using jmatlink as i use image that was taken from camera j2me application and send it ocr matlab program using jmatlink and read output file in java servelt that send it to j2me ,istill working in server part any one know tutorial can help me

Quote Originally Posted by hagar00459 View Post
    thx for your help i already make j2me camera using jsr234 and implment ocr using matlab and make connection of them using jmatlink as i use image that was taken from camera j2me application and send it ocr matlab program using jmatlink and read output file in java servelt that send it to j2me ,istill working in server part any one know tutorial can help me
    Please refer to the following link -
    http://java.sun.com/j2ee/tutorial/1_.../Servlets.html
    Thanks,
    Ekta

hey gues ,
    it is my graduation project dilemma too i was searching for open source ocr engine using j2me but found nothing about it ther is the tesseract-ocr project using objectve c for iphone i think we should look for mobile with good processor capabilites to have ocr engine embedded on mob any thoughts .......................???????