Discussion Board

Thread: New to Ovi

Question New to Ovi

Hi to All!

I'm finishing an application (a widget) and before publishing it to ovi store (and paying 50€) I would like to resolve some doubts i have.

First, I would like to know, if once my app is uploaded, I can change and update it with corrected bugs and new impresive features.
    Secondly, If some people have buyed my app, and then, I update it, how can the people who bought it update their apps for free? Is there any update options through nokia software update? or people have to pay for the new version? do I have to implement autoupdate for the app?
    Third, is there any term than disallow you to sell the app on another market? for exaple, the same app, on a different platform, such WinMo or Android?
    Fourth, what is the way to promote my app? wich sites do people often make reviews of apps and how is the protocol? do you send a free copy of the app willing they don't distribute for free o they buy it or how it's done?

Well, this is all for now
    I hope you see my app soon because it's a very useful app that will make tourism much better. (I laught at layar, hehehe, just kidding)

Re: New to Ovi

c'mon, nobody can help me?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

a) Yes, you can update the features
    b) The future versions of Publish to Ovi and Ovi Store wil support this
    c) You may market your app on as many platforms as you wish.
    d) Yes, you would have to send an email to publishtoovi.support@nokia.com and describe your app and what you wish to do to market it.

Thank you

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ferdy182 View Post
    First, I would like to know, if once my app is uploaded, I can change and update it with corrected bugs and new impresive features.
    Yes, but it can take a very long time for the update to be QA'ed and re-published. Try not to plan on a strategy of "just get it out the door and fix it later" with OVI, because your update may take weeks or even months to replace the old file.

Third, is there any term than disallow you to sell the app on another market? for exaple, the same app, on a different platform, such WinMo or Android?\
    Better than that, Nokia will even let you sell the same Nokia app in stores other than OVI. Eventually as the OVI store will come bundled on new Nokia phones, and Nokia keeps improving and promoting OVI, there may not be a reason to do so. Though, it may be a good idea right now to consider this, especially if you have a Java app. There's a lot of potential behind OVI, but it hasn't been fully realized yet.

Fourth, what is the way to promote my app? wich sites do people often make reviews of apps and how is the protocol? do you send a free copy of the app willing they don't distribute for free o they buy it or how it's done?
    If you have a native app, try some of the Symbian blogs.

-Pat

Cool Re: New to Ovi

Thank you.
    My app is almost done.