Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Unhappy ISO14443-4 Emulation and Secure Element

Hi there, and thank you for reading,

I'm designing tag readers for a company, doing so I'm expert in ISO14443 stuffs, and I'd like to experiment with NFC ISO14443-4 emulation using a Nokia Device but I'm somewhat lost in my understanding despite a lot of reading. Mostly about this "Secure Element".

I'd like to emulate an ISO14443-4 card using a MIDlet in order to send APDU to it. I read the ticket emulation example which looks to fit my needs but things are not very clear: is my MIDlet need to be put into the SE (and thus unlock the phone) in order to achieve this ?

Is the SE can be seen as a "MIDlet secure storage area" ? What limitations exists between a simple MIDlet and a MIDlet executing in the SE ? Is code compatible ?

Or to make it simpler : What is the difference with the Ticket Applet example ???
    Last edited by nono240; 2009-09-28 at 08:52.
    In a world without Walls nor Windows, who need Gates ?

Regular Contributor

Re: ISO14443-4 Emulation and Secure Element

Anyone ? Come on..

Regular Contributor

You don't put MIDlet in the SE but cardlets (Java Card applications). The SE is a storage area where data is stored and accessed through Java Card applications. You can then access the data with a NFC Smartcard reader or with a MIDlet that runs on the phone itself.

In the emulator, you don't use cardlets but simulated cardlets, that are J2SE applications (.jar) extending the SmartCardPlugin class (for the 6212, it's another one for the 6131). You can then load them inside the emulator and access them with a MIDlet just as you'd access a real cardlet (except that the SELECT will always select the simulated cardlet even if it doesn't necessarily return the OK code (0x90 0x00).

You can see an example here.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Pybel View Post
    You don't put MIDlet in the SE but cardlets (Java Card applications).
    Thank you. So, I've to write a cardlet and put it in the SE. Putting MIDlet into the phone is trivial, but how to put cardlets ? I assume I first have to unlock my device (N6212) using the unlock applet, but afterward ?

Regular Contributor

I haven't tried to put cardlets in the phone, I've just used the emulator so far.
    From what I know, you need to unlock the SE and then you probably need a NFC smartcard reader/writer and some software to put your cardlet inside the SE.