Discussion Board

Question Internal Music Player database

I have a Samsung i8510 phone, which uses the S60 3rd edition operating system. I am trying to find out information regarding the internal music player, which is embedded into the operating system.

The question is:
    Are there any PC applications to allow users to organise music, specifically the playlists.
    If not, is it possible to get details of the database format used by the player to store media/playlist information. I have found what appears to be the files in question but being a binary database format they are not easy to edit.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Internal Music Player database

Quote Originally Posted by richjhart View Post
    I have a Samsung i8510 phone, which uses the S60 3rd edition operating system. I am trying to find out information regarding the internal music player, which is embedded into the operating system.

The question is:
    Are there any PC applications to allow users to organise music, specifically the playlists.
    If not, is it possible to get details of the database format used by the player to store media/playlist information. I have found what appears to be the files in question but being a binary database format they are not easy to edit.
    This is the developer's discussion area, I'm not sure you can get answers for applications here. Did you try a Samsung discussion board?

Ron

Yes - I have tried both asking Samsung directly and Samsung forums. Samsung's response is that the music player is embedded into the operating system and therefore they don't support it. (as a former telecom software engineer I feel they really ought to be supporting the operating system they use, even if they didn't write it, but frankly I haven't been very happy with the general level of support and am sick of trying to get information out of them).

So I queried the Symbian foundation and they said that don't support S60 3rd edition - as the Symbian foundation is new and moving forward. They suggested trying here or the Symbian forums, because Nokia still manages S60 3rd edition.

I have posted on both (no reply yet on Symbian). So the problem I have is that no one seems to be able to just provide any info. I wasn't sure if this was quite the right Nokia forum, but I couldn't really see any better ones.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Unfortunately, we can not know all details on our competitors devices and data formats they use in their applications, so we are unable to help here as well.

That's my point though - they claim it's not their application. Surely someone wrote it!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Surely, but as the situation is what it is, I'm rather sure there wont be too much official support available then, anyway, you could try again in samsung forum's sinc ethe device is theirs anyway.

Yeah, going to try Samsung again. I have tried various Samsung forums before but with no luck. No one seems to want to own up to having written the software.

I will try Samsung again directly because in my opinion once they choose to put something in their firmware they have a responsibility to support it in some way. They should at least know who wrote it.

I was just hoping someone here might have some idea, at least of who wrote or configured the player into the operating system.