Discussion Board

how to set network mode

Hi all,
    it's possible to create a Symbian C++ application that change the settings->phone->network->network mode parameters?

I want my application is able to set it to:
    - Dual
    - GSM
    - UMTS

Which API/Method can I use?

Thanks in advance
    Giovanni

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: how to set network mode

I'm rather sure that there is no public API for this purpose, also I remember some older devices requiring boot-up when the network mode was changed, though newer ones appear not to require it.

All and all, if you need access to it, you should go through API partnering process, and I'm not sure whether the API is known at the moment, thus you would be required to open a technical support case first for identifying any possible private APIs for the use case.

Hi,

I am just new to this forum and I have also been searching for a way to set the network mode. Am I correct in saying that I will have to pay Nokia to ask if such a feature is available. They will then decide if they can export this feature but either way they keep the money. That doesn't sound like a good way to promote a platform. Giovanni did you ask the question?

Thanks in advance,
    Derek

Super Contributor

It isn't a way to "promote a platform", but to limit potential damage and problems with releasing unpublished/changing APIs that are not in a shape to be supported (if they were, they'd be in the published SDK).

The small threshold of a payment will avoid everyone and their mother from asking about stuff they don't really understand, leaving the more serious information seekers that are motivated to abide by the uncertainty of an undocumented/internal API (e.g., that it might not always work, or it won't work on all devices, or it might just disappear when a new version/device comes along, etc.).

So, if published SDK APIs are not enough, use the API partnering route, or move on.

Of course, nowadays, you can also dig into Symbian^3 source code, but that doesn't necessarily mean that what's there will work on current/older devices based on earlier Symbian versions.

I think it would be useful if the partnership program at least published a synopsis of all questions and answers that have been asked to date. If this exists I can't find it. This question was first asked 7 years ago so I doubt I am the first one to pose this question to the forum.

At the end of the day promoting the platform has to be the highest priority and encouraging development is key to this. Saying that the purpose of the partnership program is to "(sic) stop the world and its mother asking about stuff they don't really understand" and suggesting that members to this forum either take the partnership route or "move on" is not helpful to Nokia, symbian or me. The reality is that any one who is considering developing a commercial application on this platform needs to categorised as a "Serious information seeker". Forums ike this need experts like 'symbianyucca' who from what I can see really try to promote this platform in a positive way to new posters.

Suggesting that I look at the source code is a positive suggestion which I was doing but I appreciate that all the same - thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Basically knowledge gathered with technical support cases are often published as knowledge base items and technical solutions as well as common wiki articles, anyway not all can be put there since the solution would include publicing non-public information.