Discussion Board

Question sign app. with symbian signed

Hi,
    In the past I have developed some Symbian applications in c++, and I signed them with the Open Signed Online tool (https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/pa...ignedOnline.do) only introducing the imei of my terminal and the .sis file.

Is it possible to do the same with the jad file of a MIDLET?

Regards

Super Contributor

Re: sign app. with symbian signed

No. MIDlets do not need to be signed, and most games and applications are distributed unsigned. If you want to sign them, you need either to acquire an appropriate certificate (such as Thawte or Verisign), or to go through a process like Java Verified.

There are many articles in the wiki, if you're interested to read more.

Graham.

So, I deduce that is not possible to sign an application for test purposes for free, am I right?

Hi millansf,
    There is no such facility as of such you have to buy the certificate and sign the application. There is no test functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by millansf View Post
    I deduce that is not possible to sign an application for test purposes for free, am I right?
    Well, software is software and all you need is to find that bit. It is possible for sure (and there a far more guides on the Internet), however, the time you waste to find and apply that trick might not be worth difference to pay thawte. If you(r company) do desktop development, that certificate is useful, too, or not? By the way, in many MIDP emulators you are able to change the security settings so the emulated phone behaves like a real phone or your MIDlet behaves like signed. In some emulators you are even able to go through the whole signing process with your personal (free) certificate.

So, i decide to sign my application, what do you recomend for test purposes? thawte/verisign or java verified?

Thank you in advance!

Super Contributor

How do you intend to sign your application when you deploy it?

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    How do you intend to sign your application when you deploy it?
    I'm not sure i´m understanding your question, i´m developing with netbeans 6.7.1(Nokia_N97_SDK_v1.0).

So, my intention is to release a considerable number application's versions to test with my mobile device

Thanks!

Super Contributor

I mean, what certificate are you planning to sign your released versions with? I'd recommend you test with the same certificate.

I also suggest that you thin carefully about whether you really need to sign your app. Your life is much simpler if you don't sign it. You can install an unsigned application on any device. Once you sign you app, it will install only on a device that recognizes the signature. If the device doesn't have the matching "root certificate", the application will be rejected. There is no certificate that is universally accepted by all devices. By signing your app, you will reduce the number of devices that can install your app.

What device or devices do you want to run your application on, and in what countries?

Graham.

I mean, what certificate are you planning to sign your released versions with? I'd recommend you test with the same certificate.

I also suggest that you thin carefully about whether you really need to sign your app. Your life is much simpler if you don't sign it. You can install an unsigned application on any device. Once you sign you app, it will install only on a device that recognizes the signature. If the device doesn't have the matching "root certificate", the application will be rejected. There is no certificate that is universally accepted by all devices. By signing your app, you will reduce the number of devices that can install your app.

What device or devices do you want to run your application on, and in what countries?

Graham.

The application should run on a N97 (spain). The reason i want to sign my application is because I´m trying to open a socket (SocketConnection) in port 8080, and as I know this is not possible with an untrusted application (i´m not sure about it, because i´m testing with the emulator changing the security domain to Trusted Third Party and I get a security exception again.

Thanks!!

Super Contributor

Yes, an untrusted application cannot open a socket on 8080. I don't think there is a rule that says a trusted application can. Check carefully before you part with any money.

Better still, don't use a socket. Use an HttpConnection.

Graham.

Yes, an untrusted application cannot open a socket on 8080. I don't think there is a rule that says a trusted application can. Check carefully before you part with any money.

Better still, don't use a socket. Use an HttpConnection.

Graham.
    Thank you very much, I will try