I get this problem with both PyS60 1.4.5 and 1.9.7, in N80/6730c/N97. The problem is demonstrated by the following simple MMS sending code:
giftfile = u"e:\\data\\1.GIF"
messaging.mms_send(u"0442077628", u"gift", giftfile)
If I omit the attachment, it works just fine. Succeeding to send a text-only MMS. The GIF is fine, sending it with the phone MMS editor works. It's 16 kB and I got the same problem with a 2 kB attachment..
Could this be that the MMSC is now more strict on the MMS encoding - and something like the Content-Type: for the attachment is missing/wrong? Often (but not with all attachments) if I take the failed message from the sending folder and move it to Drafts, open the message and send again, the phone's editor codes it properly and the resending works. Any ideas what could be wrong in PyS60 and how to fix this?
I'm using same MMS sending code that used to work. But now it starts sending a MMS and about 5 seconds later (after connecting to the operator's MMSC) the phone reports "cannot send message: 0442077628" and the details for the error message say (translated) "Multimedia message: unknown multimedia error".
I found the same problem with .gif, .GIF and .amr attachments (and earlier with vCard/vCal MMS attachments). The same problem happens in both DNA and Sonera networks. In Sonera network the same program used to work this spring. The N80 firmware has probably not updated for ages and 1.4.5 I was using already then so I think it's really the same setup that used to work and now fails. This is nothing sudden or temporary, the problem has now persisted for at least few weeks.