Discussion Board

Unhappy MMS attachment sending fails - the same code used to work

I get this problem with both PyS60 1.4.5 and 1.9.7, in N80/6730c/N97. The problem is demonstrated by the following simple MMS sending code:

---clip---
    import messaging

giftfile = u"e:\\data\\1.GIF"
    messaging.mms_send(u"0442077628", u"gift", giftfile)
    ---clip---

If I omit the attachment, it works just fine. Succeeding to send a text-only MMS. The GIF is fine, sending it with the phone MMS editor works. It's 16 kB and I got the same problem with a 2 kB attachment..

Could this be that the MMSC is now more strict on the MMS encoding - and something like the Content-Type: for the attachment is missing/wrong? Often (but not with all attachments) if I take the failed message from the sending folder and move it to Drafts, open the message and send again, the phone's editor codes it properly and the resending works. Any ideas what could be wrong in PyS60 and how to fix this?

I'm using same MMS sending code that used to work. But now it starts sending a MMS and about 5 seconds later (after connecting to the operator's MMSC) the phone reports "cannot send message: 0442077628" and the details for the error message say (translated) "Multimedia message: unknown multimedia error".

I found the same problem with .gif, .GIF and .amr attachments (and earlier with vCard/vCal MMS attachments). The same problem happens in both DNA and Sonera networks. In Sonera network the same program used to work this spring. The N80 firmware has probably not updated for ages and 1.4.5 I was using already then so I think it's really the same setup that used to work and now fails. This is nothing sudden or temporary, the problem has now persisted for at least few weeks.

Pertti

Regular Contributor

Re: MMS attachment sending fails - the same code used to work

Hi,

Please refer this thread which is already discussed here.

Discussion LINK

Hope it helps.
    Pavan Pareta
    Sr. Software Engineer
    http://windows-mobile-dev.blogspot.com

I did check that discussion before posting - but it does not discuss the same problem. I also wrote a bug report to the garage...

Pertti

P.S: The suggestion in your link is the same library I'm using and I do know how to call it. But there seems to be a bug or at least incompatibility with my operator. I know a lot about MMS standards, MMSC:s and their protocols, but not enough of the Symbian/S60 libraries to check the PyS60 source code myself. I do need to send an MMS, not an email. And I do need to use 1.4.5 so I cannot upgrade to the Platforem Services API:s

Quote Originally Posted by pavan.pareta View Post
    Hi,

Please refer this thread which is already discussed here.

Discussion LINK

Hope it helps.

I managed to verify the bug in PyS60. The same MMS sending program works in the Elisa network (but fails in the Sonera and DNA networks). The MMS content sent with messaging.mms_send() is coded incorrectly, probably a missing function call to set the type. The files attached inside the MMS have a "Contet-Type: application/oct.." (as octet-stream; I see only partial string in the iPhone display).

It seems that Nokia phones accept MMS messages with inproperly set "Content-Type: " header inside MMS. The phone decides to show a file (name) ending with ".GIF" as a gif image even if the header does not describe the type. iPhone does not do this and that's how I could figure this out. Sending the same .gif with with the phone's MMS editor sets the coding and the message works in iPhone and in Sonera/DNA networks. It seems that the MMS-Center of Elisa allows sending MMS without proper Content-Type: header. But other operator's MMSC:s don't.

I'll add this finding also to the bug database and hope this will be fixed, probably more and more operators will start rejecting the MMS messages sent with current PyS60 (1.4.5-1.9.7).

Pertti

Bonjour,
    I hope this text will be translate :
    J'ai le meme probleme sous PYS60 2.0.0
    Le MMS est bien envoyé, mais l'image doit être mal encodée car elle n'est pas lue par l'opérateur qui dit "qu'il ne peut pas lire le contenu de ce message".
    L'opérateur communique un lien http pour accéder au contenu.
    J'ai un Nokia N95, le MMS est envoyé par SFR VODAFONE et reçu sur ORANGE sur un cadre photo avec carte SIM de marque PARROT.
    Quelqu'un a t'il déjà pu résoudre ce problème ?
    Merci.

I have the same problem PYS60 2.0.0
    The MMS is sent but the image must be encoded evil because it is not read by the operator who said "he can not read the contents of this message."
    The operator communicates an http link to access the content.
    I have a Nokia N95, the MMS VODAFONE sent by SFR and Orange received on a picture frame with branded SIM card PARROT.
    Someone Has he been able to solve this problem?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by lhoume; 2010-03-19 at 00:44. Reason: Translate