Discussion Board

Unhappy Android Market v Nokia OVI.

I friend at work and I are both writing applications in our spare time. I’m writing for S60, my friend has been writing for Android. He completed his application late Sunday night 2 weeks ago and published on the Andriod app market. By 8am the next morning (Monday) he had over 200 downloads and now two weeks later he has reached 500 downloads. The only cost to publish was about 30 euros to register on Android market place.

One week later I completed my S60 application and express signed. The next day I published on OVI. My application has now been “QA pending” for over a week. I had to pay for a publisher ID, express signing and Ovi registration, total almost £200.

I think that Nokia need to reduce the cost of publishing and reduce QA delays to complete with Android. What do other developers think?.

Regular Contributor

Re: Android Market v Nokia OVI.

Reducing QA time would be a big help to developers. But also, let me give you another way to think about Nokia vs Android:

"Google's Android OS will ship in eight million handsets in 2009"
    Nokia ships 8 million handsets every week. (13 handsets every second.)

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by proberts View Post
    Reducing QA time would be a big help to developers. But also, let me give you another way to think about Nokia vs Android:

"Google's Android OS will ship in eight million handsets in 2009"
    Nokia ships 8 million handsets every week. (13 handsets every second.)
    However, how many of those are low-end "Series 30" phones, which do not run any apps?

And regarding those that support user-installable applications, how many different SDKs do you need to use, and how many different application versions do you need to make to run on those phones, and how much time and effort do you need to spend on the QA?

How many of the applicable phone users actually buy add-on applications?

In other words, even if Nokia definitely makes a lot of phones, that forms just a theoretical market size; the actual addressable market is only a fraction of that, and it is fragmented due to the numerous platform and SDK versions, so you should not be blinded by the large total number of devices sold.

My application is for edition 5, and I think Nokia have sold about 6 million 5800 and 2 million N97 so far, so say 8 million in total. If Android does 8 million this year that will not be far behind Nokia. So what’s going to happen in 2010 when there are lots of new Android phones on the market.

The point is that Nokia have to keep trying if they want to stay ahead.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jscurtis View Post
    The point is that Nokia have to keep trying if they want to stay ahead.
    Nokia are not ahead. They might be on a par with Google at the moment. They're an awful long distance behind Apple and that gap is growing. Very little has changed over the past five months as a scan through previous posts on this forum will prove. You'll see huge threads with the same title that were started months apart.

I'd love to be able to say with confidence, Nokia will hold second place next year but... to be honest, I'm starting to believe that the money that we sunk into developing S60 apps is lost.

Petrib is very much correct with respect to the size of actual addressable market. The vast majority of downloads are on 5th Ed phones. The majority of free downloads are on mid tier phones and the majority of paid downloads appear to be on the high-end N97 device.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    how many of those are low-end "Series 30" phones
    I don't know specifically about S30, but S60 accounts for about 20% of Nokia's shipped handsets - so that makes 8 million every 5 weeks.

And regarding those that support user-installable applications, how many different SDKs do you need to use, and how many different application versions do you need to make to run on those phones, and how much time and effort do you need to spend on the QA?
    This was actually more to my point... Nokia's app store has to support a lot of different devices. Android at the moment is one JVM on top of one OS, but my hunch is it will soon splinter as more manufacturers do things like Motorola's custom Android enhancements to the CLIQ.

Either way, neither require as many SKUs as a mass market J2ME app.

How many of the applicable phone users actually buy add-on applications?
    IMO this is Nokia's biggest marketing hurdle, and efforts like tighter integration of the OVI store app with the UX will help (N900). But if Nokia are successful increasing penetration in their user base, the top is much higher. If 100% of Android (or iPhone) users download apps, that's 8 million. For Nokia to have 8 million downloaders they only need to motivate 10% of yearly S60 buyers.

In other words, even if Nokia definitely makes a lot of phones, that forms just a theoretical market size; the actual addressable market is only a fraction of that, and it is fragmented due to the numerous platform and SDK versions, so you should not be blinded by the large total number of devices sold.
    Compared with J2ME, I find the small number of hardware and software combos for S60 rather enjoyable - not to mention C/C++ is much better equipped to handle platform differences than Java, where everyone pretends they don't exist. (Though I'll give you that S60 API documentation isn't nearly as good and much of S60 seems like band-aids on top of band-aids.)