Discussion Board

OVI Store Questions

Hi,

I'm looking through this wiki and can't find answers to some application submission related questions:

1. What kind of apps can I upload to OVI? Is there a size limit? Can I upload apps with a PC component?

2. Is there a link that describes the OVI QA process?

3. How does the OVI store prevent my applications being freely distributed after they have been downloaded? Is there device registration model that OVI use / recommend?

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Re: OVI Store Questions

Quote Originally Posted by iancopeman View Post
    1. What kind of apps can I upload to OVI?
    Check the list of supported phones, but generally J2ME, Native Symbian for S60 V3 and V5, Flash Lite, and Web RunTime widgets.

Is there a size limit?
    I saw 2MB nce mentioned, but as a soft limit.

Nothing official, but something like this

3. How does the OVI store prevent my applications being freely distributed after they have been downloaded? Is there device registration model that OVI use / recommend?
    DRM Forward Lock. This has talked about quite a bit - just search this forum for DRM.

HTH

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by proberts View Post

Nothing official, but something like this
    So true

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your question. Please see the response below:

1. What kind of apps can I upload to OVI? Is there a size limit? Can I upload apps with a PC component?
    Ovi: Please refer to publisher guide in here https://publish.ovi.com/help/content_providers. It has information of what type of application is supported, and file size limits. You can upload the application with PC component. However, you have to mention in the metadata description where to download the component, how much it costs if it's not free. Be ready to provide the application to Nokia QA when the content is in QA process.

Ovi: Currently there is no link or information released regarding OVI QA process. However, all QA guidelines are retrieved from several references such as publisher guide in here https://publish.ovi.com/help/content_providers, java verified test criteria , symbian verified test criteria. If your application is signed and you read through the publisher guide, there is a higher chance that your application can pass QA process.

Ovi: Ovi store makes sure your application is secure by having the following options:
    Forward lock DRM 1.0 can be selected by developer.
    For all items with price point, the URL is time-restricted by default.

We would be happy to assist you if you have other questions.

Thank You,
    oviJude
    OVI Publisher Support

Hi, as others already said, Ovi Store can protect your applications using OMA DRM Forward Lock.
    What they "forgot" to mention, is that this kind of protection can be easily bypassed without any particular high-skills.

Indeed, every publisher must be aware that OMA DRM Formward Lock doesn't prevent the free distribution of their applications as discussed here:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=168939
    And the lack of a proper protection exposes the applications to mass-piracy.

Each publisher should be properly informed about all the risks involved in publishing apps through OviStore, then each one will make its own choice.
    Someone will publish the apps, someone else will not, the important thing is to provide always full and complete informations to the publishers.

My 2 cents,
    Marco Bellino.
    Last edited by ilsocio; 2009-10-21 at 13:19.
    http://www.guardian-mobile.com/

We have just submitted our application to QA. Submitting was made as easy as it could. It was a positive surprise. We know from experience that publishing application to many different phonemodels is not a simple task. We read the documents and made the submit. That's it.

Only critic is that since our application supports almost all OVI terminals, we have to make two different submits, one for S60 native application and one for Java application. This could be improved by shifting "Java or S60" -app question after "add file" link.

Where is the "Forward lock DRM 1.0 can be selected by developer" when the WRT is free?
    Last edited by pablopoo; 2009-11-09 at 17:01.

Quote Originally Posted by oviJude View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for your question. Please see the response below:

Ovi: Please refer to publisher guide in here https://publish.ovi.com/help/content_providers. It has information of what type of application is supported, and file size limits. You can upload the application with PC component. However, you have to mention in the metadata description where to download the component, how much it costs if it's not free. Be ready to provide the application to Nokia QA when the content is in QA process.

Ovi: Currently there is no link or information released regarding OVI QA process. However, all QA guidelines are retrieved from several references such as publisher guide in here https://publish.ovi.com/help/content_providers, java verified test criteria , symbian verified test criteria. If your application is signed and you read through the publisher guide, there is a higher chance that your application can pass QA process.

Ovi: Ovi store makes sure your application is secure by having the following options:
    Forward lock DRM 1.0 can be selected by developer.
    For all items with price point, the URL is time-restricted by default.

We would be happy to assist you if you have other questions.

Thank You,
    oviJude
    OVI Publisher Support

Hello oviJude,

how do we tell the customer where they can download the software without sending the SIS(X) file to them?? We had a look at the metadata and couldn´t find where to include a link etc.? The only thing our customer has to know after the purchase is where to download the software to be able to activate the software

Thank you so much for your answer in advance.

Best regards,
    daddyrings

Where this software is downloaded?
    My 5700 mobile telephone with being NOKIA,

Than you very much!

is the 2 MB file size limit applied to all the file type for S60, S40, and Maemo?
    thank you,

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wannaovi View Post
    is the 2 MB file size limit applied to all the file type for S60, S40, and Maemo?
    thank you,
    It was mentioned by someone from Nokia (can't remember who) on this forum, but as a "suggested limit", and was related to OTA delivery IIRC. Three of our apps on OVI are between 2MB and 2.25MB, and as far as I know we aren't restricted in any way. Even the OVI downloads app itself is just over 2MB.