Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Using makefile for building Symbian apps with different SDK's

We use GNU 'make' utility for building our application from a command file. The reason for this is to enable us to quickly rebuild our application using various SDK's (3rd MR, 5th edition and N97). At the moment before issuing 'make' command we have to manually issue 'device' command to set up correct SDK environment. Unfortunately this gets tedious when you have several SDK's and when you build in various order. Here is the problem. When we add 'device' command execution into the make file it does get executed but symbian build environment still builds with the previous device settings. For example the current setting is for 3rd edition and I need to build for the 5th. The makefile issues the command “devices -setdefault @S60_5th_Edition........” followed by abld command. When I inspect the compilation commands the __S60_50__ does not get defined and as result I end up with the code for 3rd edition device. But when I manually issue 'devices' command followed by make command then everything gets set up correctly and I end up with the correct code. (By the way I use windows's cmd command shell). What makes 'devices' command work differently when it's executed from within the make environment? Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Using makefile for building Symbian apps with different SDK's

One suggestion just create one batch file abc.bat or something and place one line in it and then check by typing devices on command line whether the default sdk has changed or not.

I think you missed a space after and before setdefault, recheck it.

devices -setdefault @S60_3rd_MR:com.nokia.s60

I did use that and it worked really fine.
    Regards,
    Shafali

Nokia Developer Moderator

make is not necessarily happy with the "@" in the middle, so it may be a good idea. For me "devices" works correctly from a batch file.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by shafali gupta View Post
    One suggestion just create one batch file abc.bat or something and place one line in it and then check by typing devices on command line whether the default sdk has changed or not.

I think you missed a space after and before setdefault, recheck it.

I did use that and it worked really fine.
    Hi. Thanks for reply but there is space. The command does get executed. When I run my makefile the "device" command does get executed. Once make file finishes I check the current setting with 'device' command and it reports that new device has been set (one I wanted),l but for some reason Symbian build environment does not pick it up and as result it compiles with the old device setting. I do have two cmd files which read as follow:
    This one for 3rd edition
    Code:
    make build sign SDK=nokia3 PLATFORM=gcce CFG=urel | tee builds60_30.log
    this one is for fifth
    Code:
    devices -setdefault @S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0:com.nokia.s60
    make clobber updateversion build sign SDK=nokia5 PLATFORM=gcce CFG=urel 2>&1 | tee builds60_50.log
    Yes it works but I am not very happy about the solution. I have to create another script to run a script that runs a script.....

I hope you can see the point.