Discussion Board

Thread: FaceBook client

FaceBook client

Can i develop a Facebook client as WRT widget.If so can some tell me what are the requirements ? like do we need to have a FBclient library etc ... Can i use Java script client library in the Widget..

Thanq

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: FaceBook client

Hi Symbian2008,

yes, you can develop a Facebook widget. You can think about reusing available JavaScript libraries, but you should always check for full code compatibility.

Just as a note: a very nice Facebook WRT widget already exists, but uses a Symbian C++ layer to implement some specific functionalities. This just to say that not all is possible with "plain" JavaScript APIs

Pit

I noticed some people (including me) want to implement parts of the facebook widget, like publishing some data from your app to the facebook stream. But for some reason, nobody knows how to do this exactly..
    Only help i could find was "download and install the facebook Javascript client library"
    But the problem is i cant get it working, not even with the examples provided in the JS library.

All i need is a Facebook connect button so i can let users log in and then the app should automatically publish its data to the facebook stream (without going to the site). But i cant even get the login to work..

A reply would be much appreciated..

Nokia Developer Champion

yes I tried that too...
    stuck at login...

seems that login is made with popup (facebook security - the login to facebook should not be done inside a site)... and in WRT you cannot open a popup(javascript) apparently...

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

Have you tried using Direct URL mentioned in here https://developers.facebook.com/docs.../dialogs/feed/

Idea would be to craft the URL in WRT side and then call widget.openURL(); to open the browser.
    Bad thing is that you would have to set up a server to host redirect pages and UX vise this is would be far from an optimal solution.

Br,
    Ilkka

Nokia Developer Champion

the problem is that you will never login under WRT, because once you call widget.openURL() you are outside of your app, witch is not so good as the user see that he is in a browser...

Quote Originally Posted by isalento View Post
    Hi,

Have you tried using Direct URL mentioned in here https://developers.facebook.com/docs.../dialogs/feed/

Idea would be to craft the URL in WRT side and then call widget.openURL(); to open the browser.
    Bad thing is that you would have to set up a server to host redirect pages and UX vise this is would be far from an optimal solution.

Br,
    Ilkka