Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Dll Capabilities and Nokia signed.

As dll's capability set must not be smaller than its caller exe, in current application, we set dll to have the same capability set as exe. Then we are in trouble, once we add capability to exe, we need to re-publish the dll.
    Can we set dll's capability set as (AllCaps-Manufacture Caps)? If we do this, will we be in trouble when we are perfoming nokia signed process?

And I dont want to package my dll as embeded sis and sign it separately.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by daveice; 2009-10-13 at 04:01.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Dll Capabilities and Nokia signed.

You should propably have a plan, and roadmap on the features what your exe will have, then you could predict on what capabilities you would be requiring in near future..

Regular Contributor

It is not easy to predicate the conditions in future.
    I can't declare more capabilites when I submit my application for Nokia signed process, app can only declare the capabilities it used, or else fail to get nokia signed. If I can't declare more capabilites in dll either, we HAVE TO change dll's capability set once we need to change exe's capability set in next release, NO plan can work.

if you are using manufacturer capabilities, you do need to have a good reason for using them, so better have a plan in action before adding those ones into your dll.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    if you are using manufacturer capabilities, you do need to have a good reason for using them, so better have a plan in action before adding those ones into your dll.
    No, I will not use manufacturer capabilities. Neither dll nor exe will use manufacturer capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by daveice View Post
    No, I will not use manufacturer capabilities. Neither dll nor exe will use manufacturer capabilities.
    So then you should not worry on Nokia signing, you cna use the normal Symbian signed options..

Regular Contributor

So then you should not worry on Nokia signing, you cna use the normal Symbian signed options..
    Do you mean test house will not chanllenge me if I set dll to 'AllCaps excluding manufacturer caps', while set exe only "NetworkServices ReadDeviceData ReadUserData UserEnvironment WriteUserData LocalServices WriteDeviceData"?

I'm not that aware of what they might say, thus you should maybe contact them to clarify their policies towards issues like this. You would need to go through certified signing anyway, and select a testing house, so you could ask them if they have any problems with this approach.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by daveice View Post
    Do you mean test house will not chanllenge me if I set dll to 'AllCaps excluding manufacturer caps', while set exe only "NetworkServices ReadDeviceData ReadUserData UserEnvironment WriteUserData LocalServices WriteDeviceData"?
    In the submission process, you need to explain the capabilites you have assigned in your dll. So I don't know what will you write in the clarification when you have no idea why are you using them.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Quote Originally Posted by kiran10182 View Post
    In the submission process, you need to explain the capabilites you have assigned in your dll. So I don't know what will you write in the clarification when you have no idea why are you using them.
    Actually Not with DLL's or any loadable thingi, since their capabilities must match the loading process, so they don't necessary require the capabilities in tehir own usage.. Not really as strait forward as you's post might suggest..

Regular Contributor

I'm not that aware of what they might say, thus you should maybe contact them to clarify their policies towards issues like this. You would need to go through certified signing anyway, and select a testing house, so you could ask them if they have any problems with this approach.
    I dont have a contact now, I will ask them later. Thank you!

Nokia Developer Champion

Actually Not with DLL's or any loadable thingi, since their capabilities must match the loading process, so they don't necessary require the capabilities in tehir own usage.. Not really as strait forward as you's post might suggest..
    Sorry, I didn't get your point here. If you have assigned (more)capabilites in your dll then you need to explain those capabilites in the submission process, don't you?
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

yes you do need to explain, but you can just write that the capability is required by the loading process, so you don't actually need to specify any API usage in it, since you actually can not. Good example would be signing FEP's, they propably would not use any capability really, but they do require All-TCB.