Discussion Board

Camera Wrapper problem

Hi.

I've got a problem with the usage of cameraWrapper. I tried to make an application that makes close range pictures (range~20cm). The problem is that function StartFocusL from CameraWrapper doesn't callback MCeoFocusComplete (it does call back this function when range is greater however).

Anyone has any thoughts about it or encountered similiar problem? I'm developing this application on initial 3rd ed symbian (N73).

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Camera Wrapper problem

it could be possible that the focusing does not work with that close distances.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    it could be possible that the focusing does not work with that close distances.
    well it could be true if the same application didn't work with CamAutoFocus library, which is doing well in this case...

ok... using a camera i've figured that i have to change scene mode to "close-up range"... is there any simple way to do that using a camera API?

Hi,

Have you solved the issue of the closeup focusing?
    I have the same problem, can you help me?

tnx.

Regular Contributor

I have the same issue.

Apparently the problem comes frome the wrapper implementation.

fp0-fp1 : ECam + CamAutoFocus_s.lib
    fp2 .. : camera module uses CCameraAdvancedSettings to access autofocus.

The wrapper provide the fucntion setfocusrangeL(myrange) . Who have to call the correct function :
    fp0-fp1 : CCamAutofocus::SetFocusRangeL(myrange)
    fp2,.. : CCameraAdvancedSettings::SetFocusRange(myrange)

But apparently in the case of FP0-FP1 the function don't works like expected. There is no error, but the focus range is not set.

I have already create an application for FP0-FP1 (not with the wrapper) and the autofocus setted in "ERangeMacro" (and digitalzoom aproximatly at 30 or 40) I was able to focus on object at 4-5 cm of the camera.

Now with the wrapper It's just impossible to focus on close objects.

Is that an implementation error in the wrapper ? Or perhaps there must be a special build for Fp0-Fp1 (and choosing which one install, in the install process.)

I don't know if we can expect a change in the library, or what to do get it works.

I tried to get a pointer at runtime, on the CCamera object ( Camera() ) , and create an CCamAutoFocus object to call the old SetFocusRangeL(..) function, but It's apparently crashing the camera module.

Regular Contributor

Hi!

I am facing the same problem - getting the macro more to work. Could you explain what you did to get the macro-mode functionality working on your S60 3rd Ed. (MR) phone?

I am trying to work with the CameraExample that has been given and trying to get the macro mode functionality working on that. I've not been able to find the selfFocusRange function or any place where I can change the settings to have macro mode abilities.

Thanks for the help..
    Kedar

Regular Contributor

Hi kedram.
    For now, to use the macro mode on pre-fp2 device you have to :
    - use the camera, like it's used in the example "Camera Example with Autofocus Support v2.2" (the camera wrapper is not working for the focusrange yet for pre-fp2)
    - Be sure that the macro is supported in the device
    - use the function SetFocusRangeL(CCamAutoFocus::ERangeMacro); in CCameraCaptureEngine.
    - be aware that it will not work on fp2 and 5th edition.

The solutions to get it work everywhere, is to make 2 builds.. one based on the 2.2 example (for MR, FP1), and one based on the Fp2 version of the example (for fp2). Here it will be possible to call the focus ranges functions properly.
    The camera wrapper was supposed to be a "solution" to don't have to make 2 builds, and get only one "api" that works of ever S603rd devices, But it's dont works for the focusrange.

Regular Contributor

Hi Christophe,

I use the Nokia N73 - is there some way to check if the macro mode is supported on this device?
    On the camera software that is installed (that comes preinstalled with the phone), there is a 'Close-Up' mode which is essentially 'macro mode'. However, I do not know if the necessary api's are present.

I built the 'Camera Example with Autofocus Support v2.2' project, but I keep getting the error - 'makesis.ese returned with exit value = 1'.
    I tried to build the application using sisContents and ensymble (by placing required files in required places), but the final application does not build.

I tried installing the pre-built application file (that comes in the sis folder). However, when I select the macro mode, it does not seem to work. There is no difference in the image taken.

The autofocus does work, but the focused image needs to be taken in a round about way. I need to press the camera's click button (on side of phone) for it to auto-focus, after which I need to press the central stick to take the image.
    Is there any way to make pressing the click button sufficient to focus the image and then save it as well?

Thanks for the help.
    Kedar
    Last edited by kedarm; 2009-12-02 at 12:34.

Regular Contributor

So, this problem is not related to the camera wrapper (I suggest to start a new thread). But I can confirm to you that the macro is supported by the N73 (already used it). In this example to activate the focus you have to half-press the camera shutter key (not the "ok" button).
    makesis error -> one or more files are not build correctly, watch the console view for more details. The project settings probably don't match correctly your building environement.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Christophe.A View Post
    So, this problem is not related to the camera wrapper (I suggest to start a new thread)...
    <snip>
    makesis error -> one or more files are not build correctly, watch the console view for more details. The project settings probably don't match correctly your building environement.
    Sorry about digressing from the topic of the thread. It was the error I got when I tried the example, and hence put it up.
    I had to add a '$(EPOCROOT)\' before 'Epoch32' - that solved the problem!

But I can confirm to you that the macro is supported by the N73 (already used it)
    Phew! That's a relief. I had already begun believing that there is no macro mode on the N-73!

In this example to activate the focus you have to half-press the camera shutter key (not the "ok" button).
    When I tried the application on my phone, I had to first half-press the camera shutter key to focus the image, and before it lost focus, I had to press the 'OK' button to save the file.
    Is there some way I can get the camera shutter key to focus on being half-pressed and then save image when it is fully pressed (the way the normal camera works).
    If I full press the camera shutter key, the default camera (pre-installed with the phone) starts up.

Also, is there some way to change the way the image is stored in the phone? For instance, I require the image to have minimal compression, but be stored in a 1 byte-per-pixel format. I've been going through the code without much luck. If you feel I'm digressing too much of the topic of the thread, do let me know - I shall start a new one.

Thanks for all the help.
    Kedar
    Last edited by kedarm; 2009-12-02 at 13:58.