Discussion Board

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Qt on iPhone

Regular Contributor

Smile Qt on iPhone

Hi,

Novell have released a .Net version for iPhone named Mono Touch. Is it feasible to port Qt to iPhone ? Is there
    any effort in that direction ?

Regards,
    Jaak

Super Contributor

Re: Qt on iPhone

May be possible,,,
    But currently nokia is not duing in that direction...
    Currently tools and sdks are available for only Qt for S60.

It seems like Nokia might move in that direction. Especially we have seen a lot of CTO's askting to port Qt to the iPhone. Seems like a no-brainer, and great stepping stone.
    Last edited by Symbian_Neil; 2011-06-08 at 08:26. Reason: removed references

Super Contributor

Apple would not allow these apps on the iTunes app store...
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ArunRangan08 View Post
    It seems like Nokia might move in that direction. Especially At MutualMobile.com we have seen a lot of CTO's askting to port Qt to the iPhone. Seems like a no-brainer, and great stepping stone.
    The first chapter of any iPhone development book points out that your must register with Apple to get a phone development key that USD $99, which allows you partial development rights, encryption key to run programs for you.
    To do full development you *MUST* have the USD $299 key Pro to download and DEBUG you application on the phone. Then you need to pay another USD $99 to join iTunes developer and get your app past iTunes marketing!. So having spent and spent nearly $400 or EUR 400 or GBP 400, just to start developing for one model of mobile phone.

Well the Ovi Store is 50 euros that it, the development like Nokia Qt SDK and free and that what makes Qt development a "no-brainer". Besides who wants to develop for one phone when you can put you app on over 20 current models and future models. Perhaps the title of the discussion board should have been "FREE Qt SDKs and Tools" then the iPhone marketers try and explain the wonders and values of spending over $400 to *START* Qt Development

BTW Did I mention that MAC OS development is *FREE* on Nokia Qt SDK and Qt Mobile.

Thanks,
    Jim

PS I forgot to add the cost of an iPhone contract in the first place!
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2010-08-27 at 13:01.

Super Contributor

http://qt.gitorious.org/+qt-iphone/qt/qt-iphone-clone

Starting iPhone development costs nothing: the SDK and tools are free.

If you as an individual developer want to sell your app + some other benefits (like the on-device debugging and developer forum access), then you need to pay the 99USD, but nothing more (except that you need to also buy a Mac to be used as your development machine, and ideally also an iPhone or iPod Touch or a few, if you want to test your app on actual hardware and not just the emulator).

Nokia Developer Moderator

Nice discussion, but I feel ArunRangan08 is more trying to spam than evoke any constructive discussion..

Super Contributor

I doubt that Apple would ever open iPhone up to Qt, and it's likely that there are some technical sticking points besides.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by danhicksbyron View Post
    I doubt that Apple would ever open iPhone up to Qt, and it's likely that there are some technical sticking points besides.
    Hi,
    frtom a technical point, it IMHO is possible. But Apple would use its QA to knock it out sooner than later IMHO.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Super Contributor

IMHO If Qt apps are linked statically against Qt I guess there are no problem to push Qt apps to the Apple store.

Super Contributor

Maybe. On the other hand, Apple did block perfectly "native" iPhone apps from the App Store that were actually Adobe Flash based that was compiled to native with Adobe's new tool (which they then withdrew). After that incident Apple also changed their App Store developer terms and conditions to prevent the use of such tools/utilities.

It looks like Apple has changed their mind:

http://gizmodo.com/5633721/apple-to-...iew-guidelines

Does this mean Qt apps can now run on the iPhone?

Super Contributor

Sure. All you need to do is to code and test the 10K or so lines of platform-specific code in the Qt libraries. And hope that none of those needs to access an iPhone interface that is restricted.

Regular Contributor

So iPhone becomes more open than Android. I think Nokia should now accelerate the Qt iPhone port. If Qt apps can run on iPhone, that is a big win for Qt community.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 1xuname1x View Post
    So iPhone becomes more open than Android. I think Nokia should now accelerate the Qt iPhone port. If Qt apps can run on iPhone, that is a big win for Qt community.
    What's the big win for Nokia in that?