Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

[moved] GPS accuracy

hi,

i am developing an application for distance calculation.In this application when i fetch positions by GPS but GPS accuracy is varying (means latitude and longitude),the result is the difference in meter is also varying according to it.
    how can i get accurate latitude and longitude at any point of time on same place.Is there any algorithm for this then please help me.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: GPS accuracy

This is how GPS works, you can not fix it from software.

Regular Contributor

Re: GPS accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by arun09 View Post
    hi,

i am developing an application for distance calculation.In this application when i fetch positions by GPS but GPS accuracy is varying (means latitude and longitude),the result is the difference in meter is also varying according to it.
    how can i get accurate latitude and longitude at any point of time on same place.Is there any algorithm for this then please help me.
    As mentioned, this is expected behaviour from the GPS device. The only way to deal with this is to handle it yourself in your application.

I use a combination of the following tricks:
    1) Use a minimum threshold before considering to use a measurement for distance calculation (i generally use 25 meters, anything less is ignored)
    2) Use the horizontal accuracy reported by the GPS to ignore unreliable values. (e.g. ignore measurements where distance would be < 1.5x horizontal accuracy)
    3) Averaging positions: e.g. use 2-5 measurements to calculate the average longitude/latitude. That way, incidental large errors are divided, resulting in an overall better measurement.

I apply the same techniques for getting a better heading/speed result.

Mark.