I have been looking for a symbian app for my N95 that uses GPS to find the nearby bus stops and gives me the list of buses serving these stops and their arrival times. I could not find such an application at least for the place I live (Singapore).
So for fun I would like to see if I could build such an app (in reasonable time). I am not a symbian programmer but I have desktop/web programming experience. What would be the easiest, fastest and most straightforward way to do it (I am only interested in using the app, not selling/distributing)?
I have the following building blocks:
- N95 has built-in GPS
- I can find GPS location of all bus stops
- bus companies have a website that returns bus arrival times which can be easily parsed
- maps / visuals are not a must
- the app can use internet
- the app must function with minimum keystrokes and with little questions asked
I have been thinking of the below options:
- google maps / ovi maps mobile maplet: is this even possible on mobile?
- web app (phone sends GPS to server and server returns web page): but I read we cannot access GPS from web page?
- C++/java symbian app to extract GPS information from phone and send request to web server and display result: wow that seems too much work!
- other ideas?
Let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance for any advice!