Discussion Board

Can I use QT for GPS programming for Symbian S60

hi,
    I am doing my MCA in Anna Univ, Chennai. My final year project is "Voice Enabled GPS Navigator". I was thinking about using C++ as my platform was symbian S60 OS. I recently heard about QT. I also can see that QT for Symbian is still in it's early stage. In that case can i opt for QT for programming GPS in nokia mobiles with symbian os. Also i want to know that if i do my project in QT, can i install in all mobile os like symbian, Windows, linux, etc., or only symbian.

As QT for symbian is still in its preview stage, can i go for c++ for safer side. Please help me choose between the both.

I need to build a gps navigator with voice input and output. I am planning to buy a nokia 5800 for this purpose.

Regular Contributor

Re: Can I use QT for GPS programming for Symbian S60

Hi,

You can use Qt S60 Mobile Extensions to accomplish your task, within that there is an example called location which will activate the GPS of the device.

However, take into account that the GPS function needs Location capability and I believe it cannot be agranted when self-signed.

Anyway, the answer is that you can make it using Qt.

Good luck!
    Zhengtao

Regular Contributor

howdy, two things,
    1) location is user grantable in S60 3rd Ed FP2 and newer devices.
    2) We're not giving a long term compatibility promise for the mobile extensions (although I'm quite sure they will still live for some time), the long term solution comes from Qt mobility api program http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2009...ility-project/ .

Cheers,
    Jack

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rajanmr View Post
    hi,
    I am doing my MCA in Anna Univ, Chennai. My final year project is "Voice Enabled GPS Navigator". I was thinking about using C++ as my platform was symbian S60 OS. I recently heard about QT. I also can see that QT for Symbian is still in it's early stage. In that case can i opt for QT for programming GPS in nokia mobiles with symbian os. Also i want to know that if i do my project in QT, can i install in all mobile os like symbian, Windows, linux, etc., or only symbian.

As QT for symbian is still in its preview stage, can i go for c++ for safer side. Please help me choose between the both.

I need to build a gps navigator with voice input and output. I am planning to buy a nokia 5800 for this purpose.
    Hi,

I'm currently porting my python based GPS application to Qt, and i must say that I'm quite surprised at how well this is working for me. I currently do most of my development on Qt for OSX (UI, semantics), and only switch to S60 when i need to verify the changes work properly on the device (I use an N97).
    As for the Location API, the approach i took was to import the S60 mobility implementation into my app, and extend it with the features which i was still missing (course/satinfo). You can still access the symbian API's from your Qt application by the way, so you are not limited by what Qt is offering.

My code is available licensed under GPLv2. You can find a svn repository here, if you need an example:
    http://qtracker.googlecode.com.

Regards,
    Mark.