Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Mobile Extensions for Qt 4.6?

Hello.

I would like to use the QT mobile extensions for S60, but they seem not to work with Qt 4.6.
    Is it just a matter of recompiling them using the RVCT comiler?
    If someone has the compiler at hand, can you please build the project and upload it somewhere?
    The code for the mobile extensions is here: http://www.forum.nokia.com/piazza/wi..._preview_3.zip

I tried recompiling them with GCCE, but I had no luck (the .lib and .dso files do not get created)..

Thanks,
    Enrico

Re: Mobile Extensions for Qt 4.6?

The next version of the Mobile Extensions will be released within few weeks. It will be built against Qt 4.6.

Quote Originally Posted by ecostanza View Post
    I tried recompiling them with GCCE, but I had no luck (the .lib and .dso files do not get created)..
    The way how classes are exported has been changed in Qt 4.6. Try adding MMP_RULES += "EXPORTUNFROZEN" in pro files.

But be aware that building your own version of the Mobile Extensions is not so easy. First you need to install some SDK plugins, then you need to sign your installation sis package but since the DLLs have such strong capabilities you probably don't have proper certificate for signing. You can use developer certificates but they are tied up with predefined IMEIs.

I heard abou QtMobile and it should wokr on every hardrware(symbian, winCe, linux). But I am not expert sa maybe someone could confirm that it is good idea?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jvuori View Post
    The next version of the Mobile Extensions will be released within few weeks. It will be built against Qt 4.6.
    Is the Mobile Extensions on 4.6 available yet? Timeline? Thanks.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Estel View Post
    I heard abou QtMobile and it should wokr on every hardrware(symbian, winCe, linux). But I am not expert sa maybe someone could confirm that it is good idea?
    Hi ,

You are correct as Qt is a cross platform language, Once you hav written a code it can be run on any platform.
    Jajal Mehul

Smile Re: Mobile Extensions for Qt 4.6?

Quote Originally Posted by wildabeast View Post
    Is the Mobile Extensions on 4.6 available yet? Timeline? Thanks.
    I'd like to hear that too - is it somewhat finished or are you waiting until 4.6 is released + N weeks? Can't jump on 4.6 until the extensions are there. Also, are they going to be maintained in future releases or will it at least be replaced with something (better/equal?) to follow the Qt releases?

Quote Originally Posted by larsgk View Post
    I'd like to hear that too - is it somewhat finished or are you waiting until 4.6 is released + N weeks? Can't jump on 4.6 until the extensions are there. Also, are they going to be maintained in future releases or will it at least be replaced with something (better/equal?) to follow the Qt releases?
    Hi,

All the team's effort is currently in QtMobility project. This will contain a set of cross-platform APIs and it will be officially supported by Qt. There *will* be Qt 4.6 based version of the Mobile Extensions, too, but currently I can't say when that will really happen.

Meanwhile you should consider building the needed extensions *within* your application instead of linking against the pre-built libraries. This can easily be done by including the Extension's .pri file in your application's .pro file. Before the include clause you need to prevent the public classes from exporting by defining XXX_NO_LIBRARY macro. The correct macro name can be found from each API's *_global.h files.

For example if you need a Vibra API add the following lines (with possible path information) in your project file:
    defines += XQVIBRA_NO_LIBRARY
    include(vibra.pri)

Then qmake/make normally.

After this you don't need the Mobile Extensions' pre-built sis package at all but you can deploy your app "alone".

Note that some APIs need special SDK arrangements and some APIs have different implementation for different S60 versions (e.g. Sensor). If you don't need to support legacy phone models (S60 3.1) you'd better use 5.0 SDK for building.

Br,
    Jaakko

Regular Contributor

I hope you will release very soon a first preview on what you are working on. Given the community reaction to the QtMobility Multimedia-API, it does not make sense to develop something private without having the community a look over the APIs. I'm not so happy with the current quality of the QtMobility project, so better release something in a stage where changes are still possible. For the QtMultimedia-API it was too late to change it to something acceptable for Qt 4.6.

To give an example why I'm not happy:
    http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6-snapsho...t.html#start-2 returns a IODevice that you can use to read data.

Because the clever API designer thought that to save one line of code, he decided to do two things in one line.

1) It is not documented whether you get a new iodevice when you start and stop.
    2) You have to reconnect on every start and stop if you get a new iodevice every time
    3) It it a good example for http://doc.trolltech.com/qq/qq13-api...onveniencetrap
    4) You cannot prepare before you start because you get the iodevice only after the start-call

So let the community help you.

Regular Contributor

Hello,

Instead of opening another topic regarding to Mobility Extension, I try my luck to leave my question here.

I am recently working on onboard Camera, the application is supposed to work on 3rd FP1,FP2 and 5th. Due to the Qt, I am able compile the application once and it runs on those phones.

However, I find out that the Carema API does not support video capture. I have no idea how shall I add video capture onto the Carema API. The other question is that is there other camera library I can use that works for all mobiles with 3rd FP1,FP2 and 5th.

Regards,
    Zhengtao

Hi all,

by the way, are there any efforts to include magnetometer sensor support within the Qt 4.6 compatible version of the Mobile Extensions?

Thanks,
    domgus

ok, i think this thread is better for my problem.
    i have done the points jvuori wrote. adding the extensionfiles to my app and including the pri-file to my pro-file with:
    include(vibra.pri)

But building the app throws an error:
    data object 'XQVibra::staticMetaObject' redefined in moc_xqvibra.cpp

any idea what i can do?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubik View Post
    adding the extensionfiles to my app and including the pri-file to my pro-file
    Just include the pri file (with pre-DEFINES). Nothing more. The pri file already defines the .cpp and .h files to be compiled with the project as well as needed Symbian libraries to be linked against.

Regular Contributor

...And note the capital letters, DEFINES.

Ok, i still don't get it.
    I extract the extansions to a folder and in my project pro-file i add the lines to include the pri-file:

include(C:\Qt\Mobile-Extensions\extensions\src\vibra\vibra.pri)

But building the app throws now the error, that the source-files (cpp) not found:
    Specified file '\projects\Vibra_3\xqvibra_p.cpp' not found
    Specified file '\projects\Vibra_3\xqvibra.cpp' not found

thank you for your help!
    Last edited by Cubik; 2009-12-09 at 12:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubik View Post
    include(C:\Qt\Mobile-Extensions\extensions\src\vibra\vibra.pri)

But building the app throws now the error, that the source-files (cpp) not found:
    Specified file '\projects\Vibra_3\xqvibra_p.cpp' not found
    Specified file '\projects\Vibra_3\xqvibra.cpp' not found
    Absolute paths are always nasty but whatever... Try adding DEPENDPATH += C:\Qt\Mobile-Extensions\extensions\src\vibra before the include line. Better would be of course to add your relative path to the location of Extension .h/.cpp files.