×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6

    Close Another application

    Hi

    I want to know if it is possible to close another application (process) with my application, for instance the log or contacts?

    And if possible list which applications are open?

    I looked at the e32 library, but didn't see anything.

  2. #2
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
    Posts
    3,852

    Re: Close Another application

    Quote Originally Posted by Talib7 View Post
    Hi

    I want to know if it is possible to close another application (process) with my application, for instance the log or contacts?
    AFAIK we dont have a API yet in PyS60 which will do this job for you, and same will be my answer to all of your other questions.

    Do let me know if i am missing any modules

    Regards,

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6

    Re: Close Another application

    Hi

    Thanks, my idea was to write a background listener that would check when you make a call and then check if either the log or contacts are open and then close either or both. I do so hate it when (on my n97) the log or contacts are left open after I make a call.

    PS I saw that there is code in C++ would it be able implement this feature in the future?
    Last edited by Talib7; 2009-10-23 at 09:18. Reason: PS

  4. #4
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
    Posts
    3,852

    Re: Close Another application

    Quote Originally Posted by Talib7 View Post
    Hi

    Thanks, my idea was to write a background listener that would check when you make a call and then check if either the log or contacts are open and then close either or both. I do so hate it when (on my n97) the log or contacts are left open after I make a call.
    thats seems a cool idea if you are good in c++ frameworks why dont you try that in Symbian c++.
    Last edited by gaba88; 2009-10-23 at 09:24.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6

    Re: Close Another application

    Quote Originally Posted by gaba88 View Post
    thats seems a cool idea if you are god in c++ frameworks why dont you try that in Symbian c++.
    I don't know about a god, but I am fairly good (which I think you meant) with C++, just very new to the Symbian Platform, just thought PyS60 would be quicker to learn the platform before jumping into Symbian C++.

  6. #6
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
    Posts
    3,852

    Re: Close Another application

    Quote Originally Posted by Talib7 View Post
    I don't know about a god, but I am fairly good (which I think you meant) with C++,
    Sorry was a typo but you got the point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Talib7 View Post
    just very new to the Symbian Platform, just thought PyS60 would be quicker to learn the platform before jumping into Symbian C++.
    PyS60 is easy and quick but have some system api limitations like this.

    Good Luck

  7. #7
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,065

    Smile Re: Close Another application

    Quote Originally Posted by Talib7 View Post
    Hi

    I want to know if it is possible to close another application (process) with my application, for instance the log or contacts?

    And if possible list which applications are open?
    You must be using PYS60 1.9.x, u can give AppTools module a try :
    http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~zcha.../pys60/ext.htm
    It can list the running applications , end and kill other running applications.

    Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6

    Re: Close Another application

    Quote Originally Posted by sajisoft View Post
    You must be using PYS60 1.9.x, u can give AppTools module a try :
    http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~zcha.../pys60/ext.htm
    It can list the running applications , end and kill other running applications.

    Best Regards,
    SajiSoft
    Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

    PS I'm using 1.4.5 (where is 1.9.x?)

    PPS I seem to have been using the older PyS60 from SourceForge, and did not notice they moved to the maemo garage. Will get the latest version
    Last edited by Talib7; 2009-10-23 at 11:39. Reason: PPS

  9. #9
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,065

    Smile Re: Close Another application

    Quote Originally Posted by Talib7 View Post
    Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

    PS I'm using 1.4.5 (where is 1.9.x?)
    You are using 1.4.5 on N97 ? However,only Pys60 1.9.x support touch screen events. For latest version go here :
    maemo garage
    Download Pys60 1.9.7.tar.gz and inside it (or download and install Pys60 1.9.7 setup.exe if u have Windows OS) , u will find the Pys60 1.9.7 sis package . After installing it, u can use apptools module provided in the previous post.

    Btw, for pys60 1.4.5 (not recommended for N97) , u have to use appswitch module rather then apptools :
    appswitch

    Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

  10. #10
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    285

    Re: Close Another application

    Hi!

    Sorry to pull out this thread from the archives.

    Is there some documentation that explains the use of appswitch? My python application (called pyApp) calls another application (say symbApp). symbApp has a fixed UID (I use the laa module).
    I want to ensure that the application symbApp starts afresh each time - ie I want to kill any previous instance of symbApp. Is there any Python module that does the same?

    If not, is it possible using Symbian C++? Then, one can try and create an extension.

    If anyone has managed to kill an application, please let me know.

    Thanks
    Kedar

Similar Threads

  1. How to close an application from Widget
    By soumyso in forum Symbian
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2009-11-13, 14:50
  2. Memory Full close application
    By santhu_island in forum Symbian
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2009-02-04, 17:17
  3. How to prevent application close when low memory?
    By Mozart2007 in forum Symbian
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2008-04-08, 10:11
  4. when I launch in emulator application close imadiatly
    By ashrafzadeh in forum Mobile Java Tools & SDKs
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2007-03-12, 05:10
  5. Symbian installer cannot close my application
    By antonypr in forum Symbian
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2005-06-02, 04:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×