Discussion Board

Red face [split/moved] Send/receive USSD

Thanks symbianyucca. I will move forward with your guideline.

Further more, I found that CPhCltUssd API (which i'm using) is in Symbian S60 3rd Edition FP2 extention pack. Apparenty i have below queries again:

1. Can i use this API in S60 FP1? Like, E71, N95. These are my current test handsets. If not, how to use this API for S60 FP1?

2. Do i need to go for any API partnering program with Nokia or signing? If so how to move forward with that?

3. Will the development certificate with symbian will be sufficiant to run this API in S60 FP1?

Since most of the handsets in the market now have S60 FP1, i need to give a guideline to my customer (a telecom operetor) about the portability of my app, hence i need to know specifically about S60 FP1 as asked above.

I really appreciate your timely response, please guide me ahead.

Regards
    Sahrear

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    1. is correct
    2. You would need to go through Symbian signed process, for more information check www.symbianSigned.com

Anyway, I would assume that USSD request sending requires NetworkControl capability, which would mean that you do need to go for Certified signing, and you can not use Express signing.

Other stuff would actually need just normal capabilities such as NetworkServices, that could actually be used from self-signed application.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Certification & USSD API: CPhCltUssd & others

if the CPhCltUssd is missing from some API plug-in there is a high chance that it wont work in there, anyway, you could also try using AT commands for sending USSD messages, it can be done with APIs in public SDK, so should work reliably between platform versions.

Developer certificate should be ok for development time, as long as you have a publicer ID.

Hi symbianyucca.. thanks for your update.. i actually tried to use below AT command and i got success.

At command for USSD: AT+CUSD=1,"*111#",15

Interestingly, last integer represents DCS. Which is by default 0, and that doesn't work in my E71. However in some other blog i found to use DCS as 15 and that gave me correct response. Now my queries are:

1. Why DCS For USSD is 15(0x15)? Does it vary with device to to device? Does DCS 15 have anything to do with the operator?
    2. Is there any AT command, by which i can get the correct DCS value from the handset to use for USSD?
    3. Do you think accessing USSD by AT command is more portable then using the API i mentioned?
    4. Should it work in S60 FP1 and FP2? I tested on E71, so it shall work all over S60 3rd edition FP1? right?
    5. Do i still need Developer Certificate to test these AT commands for USSD in Handset?

I'm really close to finish the designing of my app. Please extend your help.

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards
    Sahrear

Hi symbianyucca.. thanks for your update.. i actually tried to use below AT command and i got success.

Interestingly, last integer represents DCS. Which is by default 0, and that doesn't work in my E71. However in some other blog i found to use DCS as 15 and that gave me correct response. Now my queries are:

1. Why DCS For USSD is 15(0x15)? Does it vary with device to to device? Does DCS 15 have anything to do with the operator?
    2. Is there any AT command, by which i can get the correct DCS value from the handset to use for USSD?
    3. Do you think accessing USSD by AT command is more portable then using the API i mentioned?
    4. Should it work in S60 FP1 and FP2? I tested on E71, so it shall work all over S60 3rd edition FP1? right?
    5. Do i still need Developer Certificate to test these AT commands for USSD in Handset?

Regards
    Sahrear

Regards
    Sahrear

Re: [split/moved] Send/receive USSD

Do you really still need an answer on question #5?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Do you really still need an answer on question #5?
    Noted.. but i'm still waiting for answers on other questions.

I believe, i should have had some kind of notification prior to move my post.. anyhow.. waiting for rest of the answers..

Hope Mr. symbianyucca can see my queries.. since he had worked on it.. and hopefully will be able to answer easily.

Cheers
    Sahrear

There is a notification message in the original thread, but thinks do tend to overlap at times.

Here's my 2 cents on the AT command issue while Jukka can can give you more detailed answers based on his hands-on experience:
    - While Symbian/S60 APIs come with a backwards compatibility promise the AT commands come with no compatibility promise at all.
    - There are known diferences between the AT commands set supported by devices

As such, my advice yould be to go for API usage, and if the API is not published for a given platform version consider aplying for API Partnering.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite